The Experience Project-Gonzo Blogging From Cozumel

Yachts in Dubai representing the haves and the have yachts

Dubai · Hotel @nyware · Private Myth / Public Dream

The ElixirThe Space Between

I Myth You, Joseph Campbell: the story of how cruising became yoga, autobiography became work, and the invisible became real.

The Central Paradox

It Is the Space Between the Bars That Holds the Tiger

If you love your job, you will never work a day in your life. I decided to play it safe and never work another day in my life—that is to say, earn a living.

I became more concerned with how to live inside the space between: the interval between jobs, ports, plans, identities, and explanations.

That space is where the invisible becomes real.

Abstract image representing the space between
The Invisible Making the Space Between Real
Tiger behind bars illustrating negative space
The Governing Image The Bars Do Not Hold the Tiger

The Space-Between Equation

Constraint + Attention to the Gap = Freedom Made Visible

Write? Right!

Living First. Processing Later.

Proust decided he had done enough living by age thirty and spent the rest of his life processing that life in Remembrance of Things Past.

I found a different loophole in the system.

Start a blog—Hotel @nyware—and suddenly travel becomes research, experience becomes content, and autobiography becomes a job description.

I continued to freelance whenever the cash ran out. The difficult boss was me.

Headlines image captioned A Zentrepeneur
A Zentrepeneur The Loophole Becomes a Vocation
Travel image representing a one-man National Geographic journey
Everywhere Trip Basho with Complimentary Mojo
Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. I am Basho on a frequent-flyer pass, with complimentary mojo on takeoff—a one-man National Geographic on that everywhere trip.

The Divine Payroll

I Am Not a Businessman. I Am a Business, Man.

Self-employment was made harder because I had such a difficult boss. In the digital economy, information wants to be free.

They say that until you are paid for something you love doing, it is only a hobby.

I am on the Divine Payroll.

Homer's epic myths are public dreams. My dreams of cruising around the world were private myths—until I wrote them down.

Ed Reif practicing yoga
Self-Employment A Difficult Boss on the Divine Payroll
Cape Town South Africa travel image
Private Myth The World Becomes Source Material

The Zentrepeneur Equation

Travel + Story + Enough Freelance Cash = Work Without a Workplace

Literature in a Hurry

Going Out of My Mind to Come to My Senses

YOLO: stuck between Hotel California—check out any time but never leave—and the Hunter S. Thompson edge where standing back means taking too much room.

I fueled both worlds: living large on cruise ships, maxing out, and blogging about it.

Hours of boredom. Moments of hysteria. Every day I went out of my mind in order to come to my senses at sea.

Cruising became the IN to my sane: a private religion where the bulk of my soul and spirit had been invested.

Read: At Sea—An I for an Island

The Long Version: Tourism, Hedonism, and Mindfulness

I know both sides because I am both sides.

First comes the fast and furious march called tourism: If It Is Tuesday, It Must Be Brussels.

Then comes the excess and hedonism of the bucket list: Nine Cruises I Had to Go On Before I Died.

A ship combines the silence of the cloister with the license of the brothel: live-and-examine days at sea, live-and-relax moments in port.

Mindfulness becomes the continuous attitude that turns those experiences into a larger narrative.

Acting As If

Life Happens for Me, Not to Me

My T.O.E.—Time on Earth—does not always read like a legible diary or even a coherent larger-than-life biography.

The best thing I can say is that I am acting as if: as if it had been my intention all along.

That thought evokes will. It lets me say life happens for me, not to me.

The adventure is its own payday, but it includes risk, unknown unknowns, Black Swans, mountaintops, valleys, and occasional service jobs of last resort.

My myth lets me know where I am at.

Hero's Journey image captioned Acting As If
Required Disadvantages No Money. No Time. No Opportunity. Only Acting As If.
Mountaintops The visible victories

The moments when the story briefly looks intentional.

Open Story
Valleys The part nobody curates

The costs, reversals, and years that resist a clean narrative.

Open Archive
Resourcefulness Finite resources are not the whole equation

Time, money, and opportunity matter. So does the ability to improvise.

Capitalism is creative destruction. Deep Story is creative destruction too. It transforms the person telling it.

I Myth You, Joseph Campbell

Tell Your Own Story

Put the He/r in Hero. Do not rent your life. Own it. Live your dreams now, not your backup plan later.

Motion creates emotion, and emotion is the key to living the Hero's Journey now.

Money is not the root of all evil. Boredom is—a spiritual anorexia, the despairing refusal to be oneself.

The privilege of a lifetime is becoming who you are after letting go of the life you planned and accepting the one waiting for you.

An authority is someone who authors the collective story and tells us what is true.

When we author our own autobiography, we begin living more consciously and unfolding our own myth.

Smiling portrait captioned Nirvana Come As You Are
Come As You Are Live the Dream, Not the Backup Plan
Golden Rule image with an infinite smile
The Golden Rule Authority Begins with Authorship

The Deep-Story Equation

Experience + Authorship + Meaning = A Myth You Can Live Inside
Companion Story Escape to Reality

Motion creates emotion and puts the Hero's Journey in the present tense.

Open Story
Book Connection Remembrance of Things Past

Proust represents the life processed into form after the living has accumulated.

Ship's Library Odyssey · Basho · Campbell

Public myths, journey-as-home, and the architecture that gives private experience a shape.

On Board

What Is My Yoga?

My yoga is being on cruise ships.

The practice is repetition: departure, horizon, port, return, reflection.

There are three types of people: those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

Ten years at sea anniversary photograph
A Decade at Sea Happy Ten Years, Dr. Pierre—and Eleven, Sarah E. Kennedy

The On-Board Equation

Sea Time + Reflection + Repetition = A Practice, Not an Escape

The Elixir

The Invisible Becomes Real When It Is Given Form

The work was never merely to visit more places.

It was to notice the space between jobs, ports, identities, and plans—and turn that invisible interval into a story another person could recognize.

Life at Sea + Deep Story + Authorship = The Private Myth Made Public.

Archive

Show more