An I For An Island Makes The Whole World Kind

Cruise Ships / Moving On / Adventure as Bad Planning

The Best Ships Are Entrepreneurships

I haven't been everywhere, but it is on my list.

I haven't been everywhere, but it is on my list.

I used to think working on cruise ships was bad, but I stopped thinking. I am looking back at some of my adventures, which were nothing more than bad planning, and looking forward to the unexpected - letting go of the past and creating a more amazing future.

There is no doubt about it: travel can evoke an exhilarating state of mind, when everything seems suddenly fresh, vivid, intensely interesting, and memorable.

Living well, then, is not anything other than the best way to try to live. As I connect the dots, I am reminded: living well is not the best revenge. Moving on is.

These next three links are before my left brain got good at telling my right brain what to do.

I think of my job as Art Director as leading people to those moments of awe - ecstasy that overtakes you when you encounter a new idea or place. The definition of ecstasy is that you are not doing your ordinary everyday routine. You are stepping into an alternative reality.

In answer to the question, How long has he been drifting? Celebrating one year at sea. It started in Rome Sweet Rome, then Santorini. I haven't been everywhere, but it is on my list.

Space travel sure is fun. Greetings from the user-friendly universe: the People's Republic of Santa Monica, home of the Mac Store and Apple, the forbidden fruit. First I was in the Majik Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a bit like Mars. Then I went to the Land of Smiles, Thailand, and walked on the moon. Finally, I had my head in the clouds with The Helium Report, winning and losing the American dream in Macau every night on the Hong Kong Express.

Field Images

Life Saver, False Mirror, and One Year at Sea

Living Well Is Not the Best Revenge. Moving On Is.

Living Well Is Not the Best Revenge. Moving On Is.

Working on Ships Has Been a Real Life Saver and Life-Extension

Working on Ships Has Been a Real Life Saver and Life-Extension

An I For An Island - Living Well Is the Best Revenge

An I For An Island - Living Well Is the Best Revenge

Open Log
Let The Orinoco Flow - One Year at Sea

Let The Orinoco Flow - One Year at Sea

Open Log
Tranquility Base - The Ego Has Landed

Tranquility Base - The Ego Has Landed

Open Log
SHIP Happens

Here Are Some of My Best Ships

The best ships are entrepreneurships.

There is an I in Team - Me.

SHIP happens. Everything that happens once will never happen again; but everything that happens twice will surely happen again, and again, and again.

Costa Atlantica - Va Veni, Microsoft

Costa Atlantica - Va Veni, Microsoft

Open Log
Celebrity Solstice - That's Greek To Me

Celebrity Solstice - That's Greek To Me

Open Log
Golden Princess - Nature Is More Cruise Ship Less

Golden Princess - Nature Is More Cruise Ship Less

Open Log
Princess Cruises - Alaska the GR8 Land

Princess Cruises - Alaska the GR8 Land

Open Log
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas - An Embarrassment of Coconuts

Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas - An Embarrassment of Coconuts

Open Log
Disney Wonder / Carnival Splendor Field Note

Disney Wonder / Carnival Splendor Field Note

Open Log
MS Noordam - From Zero to Infinity

MS Noordam - From Zero to Infinity

Open Log
American Hawaii Cruises - SS Independence

American Hawaii Cruises - SS Independence

Open Log
Hotel Anywhere - The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful

Hotel Anywhere - The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful

Open Log
An I For An Island

There Is an I in Team Ed

Travel is the pied piper leading the masses to those moments of awe - ecstasy that overtakes you when you encounter a new idea or place. You are not doing your ordinary everyday routine. You are stepping into an alternative reality.

There is an I in Team Ed.

I feel that way about living and working on a cruise ship: hours of boredom tinged with moments of hysteria, and those moments are provided by Team Ed - fun, informative, entertaining special events.

Call it faith. A passion for the possible. Having an adventure is something more, but nothing less, than bad planning. When I cold-called for my first ship job and got it after a 12-minute elevator pitch, I began to trust myself. Only when you trust yourself can you truly begin to live it up.

The only thing you need if you work on a ship to finance your world traveling is a love and passion for traveling and for what you do. The time and opportunity are onboard the ship, and the money flows based on your commitment, focus, and determination. You get there. Your attitude will reflect your altitude. Instant gratification takes too long. You get there slowly.

Freedom is what you do to what has been done to you. - Jean-Paul Sartre
Freedom is what you do to what has been done to you by your own thoughts, words, and actions.

Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000-Hour Rule of practice is required to achieve mastery. His book is about outliers - men and women who do things out of the ordinary. Living and working on a cruise ship is somewhat extraordinary, and definitely unusual.

Archive

Show more