The Accidental Sailor-FunEmployment
Sea Change / The Accidental Sailor / Funemployment
Putting the He in Hero
An armchair sea dog leaves land, raises the sails, and discovers that the real voyage is becoming the person who can live the story.
Raise the Sails
“The winds of grace always blow for us, but you have to raise your sails and just go.”
Putting the he in hero, every action-adventure story carries the same moral: perseverance pays.
Of all the things I am not very content doing, living on land is the most outstanding. I was an armchair sea dog growing up on LAWNGUYLAND—Long Island, New York—dreaming of going places. But I never started, and therefore I never failed.
Those who do not move do not notice their chains.
The Asymmetric Equation
Clarity + Risk + Movement = Asymmetric Return The journey cannot change you while it remains an idea.Permission to Leave
From Armchair Sea Dog to Multinational Soul
The first decisive act was not crossing an ocean. It was giving the inner nomad permission to exist.
Considering how much inner nomad lives in each of us, adulthood became the moment I gave myself permission to leave as soon as possible.
I imaginatively recreated my identity around my real allegiances and a place famous for second chances: Venice Beach, California.
New York, Los Angeles, Paris, and Tokyo had all given me stories, but a multinational soul needed consecration by the oceans.
The Asymmetric Equation
Awareness + Friction = Signal Discontent becomes useful when it points toward a more authentic direction.Sea Change
How Inappropriate to Call This Planet Earth
The ocean replaced the ordinary grid with silence, vividness, camaraderie, loneliness, and a larger scale of self.
Let the Orinoco flow. Travel can evoke an exhilarating state in which everything becomes fresh, vivid, intensely interesting, and memorable.
My universe is made of stories, not atoms: land, air, sea travel, and the power of now. As Melville put it, God’s one and only voice is silence.
Despite the camaraderie, laughs, jollies, and tribalism of a cruising project, the profession remains notoriously lonely. Friendships are intense but brief. When the gig ends, you can find yourself home, staring at the phone, wondering whether any of it happened.
Six times around the world builds confidence. It is not real life, but it is a convincing alibi—going out of your mind each day in order to come to your senses.
Nothing fails like excess—but excess can still disclose what moderation keeps hidden.
The Asymmetric Equation
Silence + Distance = Signal The sea removes enough noise for identity to become audible.Blessing and Wound
Born Again in Future Perfect
The cruising obsession carried loneliness and excess, but it also rewired attention and made a new identity possible.
The word “blessing” has often been connected to the idea of a wound. My cruising obsession—this invisible wound—became a private religion, the place where most of my spirit was invested.
Yet I was divinely compensated. We die to the present tense and are born again in future perfect—the heroes of our own lives.
You can teach an old DOGma new tricks. Neurons that wire together fire together. I was no longer hard-wired only for cruise ships. The brain is plastic. The hunt for happy is repetition.
I was not seeking the meaning of life. I was seeking the experience of being alive. The prescription was not the doctor or the mall. It was the trip.
The Asymmetric Equation
Chosen Discomfort + Repetition = Rewiring A new life becomes believable after it is practiced often enough.Fade In
The Accidental Sailor
Necessity, rather than pure wanderlust, created the opening. The sea provided something to do, somewhere to be, and someone new to become.
Leaving the ritual and habit of ordinary living, I embarked on an unplanned trip and became the Accidental Sailor.
For reasons of necessity rather than innate wanderlust, I was at sea because it gave me something to do and a place to be. Magnetized and full of charisma, I managed to stay on course without realizing it.
Success at sea is continued enthusiasm despite failure after failure. There are so many variables. In the end, you do not quit jobs. You quit people.
Never heard of funemployment? It is when someone quits a job—or takes advantage of being out of one—to have the time of their life. Instead of punching a clock, you head for the beach. In my case, the high seas.
The Asymmetric Equation
Time + Attention + Autonomy = Lived Wealth Funemployment mattered because the unscheduled hours were spent becoming more alive.20,000 Leagues Into My Brain
Maybe What Matters Is Who I Am at Sea
The voyage shifted from geography to identity. The sea did not merely provide experiences; it produced a better version of the narrator.
Call it faith—a passion for the possible. Having an adventure is something more, but nothing less, than bad planning.
I began to think that perhaps it was not only how much I loved being at sea. Maybe what mattered was who I became while doing it. I was my best self.
Character is doing what is right when nobody is looking. Many of our problems come from an inability to spend time quietly alone in our own room.
As much as I sometimes detested the travel, I loved the writing and introspection: organizing a disorganized country, itinerary, or culture; comparing it with my state of mind; stripping away the inessential; and building a foundation from the bricks the ports had thrown at me.
The Asymmetric Equation
Experience + Reflection = Wisdom The port becomes part of the inner map only after the story is shaped.Freedom for Sale
Pleasure Is Not Happiness
The final lesson was not that life at sea was easy. It was that solitude, responsibility, and chosen freedom were worth more than packaged escape.
Any port in a storm will not do. You need to become content with the weather of the day-to-day.
Life at sea can be hours of boredom tinged with moments of hysteria. The water gets rough. You get seasick. It gets lonely. But I call that solitude.
Freedom is not free, but neither is it for sale. It cannot be purchased in a seven-day cruise. Food, drink, music, and noise can be fun, but pleasure is not happiness.
Happiness is balance, following your bliss, and connecting with the divine. The sea is where I house my soul and access my higher self.
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote that freedom is what you do with what has been done to you. I would add: freedom is what you do with what has been done to you by your own thoughts, words, and actions.
The Asymmetric Equation
Freedom + Responsibility = Authored Life Freedom becomes meaningful when it changes the choices made after the voyage.From the Book Shelf
How the Accidental Sailor Maps Into the Books
This post functions as the bridge between the early sea journals and the later doctrines of time wealth, happiness, authenticity, and asymmetrical living.
Living an Asymmetrical Life
The Sea Years
Hero’s Journey stage: Answer the Call.
Chapter function: The armchair sea dog leaves the inherited script and becomes the Accidental Sailor.
Equation: Clarity + Risk + Movement = Asymmetric Return.
Who Wants to Be a Time Millionaire?
Funemployment as Time Wealth
Time lesson: Unscheduled hours are valuable only when they are converted into attention, experience, and autonomy.
Chapter connection: Time: The True Currency.
Equation: Time + Attention + Autonomy = Lived Wealth.
MAHA
Pleasure Is Not Happiness
Happiness lesson: Food, drink, music, and novelty can entertain without producing enoughness.
Framework: Notice More. Want Less. Live More.
Field proof: Solitude and balance outlast packaged escape.
The Authenticity Revolution
Who I Am at Sea
Identity lesson: The central discovery was not a destination but the self that appeared under conditions of freedom and silence.
Core question: Where are you most recognizably yourself?
Equation: Alignment + Action = Authentic Identity.
Mental Model
Raise the Sails
Opportunity can remain invisible until action gives the wind something to move.
45-Second Rule
Test the Chain
Before accepting another year of the inherited routine, pause for 45 seconds: Is this stability—or a chain I stopped noticing?
Field Lesson
The Best Self Is Evidence
Pay attention to the environments where character, attention, and aliveness improve at the same time.
The Asymmetric Equation
Experience + Form = Elixir The Accidental Sailor becomes useful to others when the voyage is converted into doctrine.Beyond the 2011 Archive
Jump Ahead
Continue from the 364-day record into the larger sea story: the chapter, the accidental sailor, the magical-thinking retrospective, and funemployment.
The Elixir Ahead
The Winds Blow. The Hero Raises the Sails.
The sea did not rescue the armchair sailor. Action did. The voyage became the proving ground for a larger philosophy: time is wealth, pleasure is not happiness, authenticity is discovered through alignment, and asymmetrical lives begin when movement turns possibility into evidence.
The Asymmetric Equation
Clarity + Risk + Time = Asymmetric Return The hero is not the person who never fails. It is the person who finally begins.