From 365 to 12: My Year, Distilled
Roam Sweet Roam
My world-cruise adventure, Permanent Travel manifesto, and month-by-month record of a year lived somewhere between home and the horizon.
People say that what we are all seeking is a meaning for life. I do not think this is what we are really seeking. I think what we are seeking is an experience of being alive. The Power of Myth · Joseph Campbell
Home Is a Feeling, Not a Place
Cruising around the world became one of the most rewarding forms of introspection. It was another stage of my re-entry into Hotel @nyware: an extended break from Normal Life aboard another ship.
I was living my dream of PT—Permanent Travel, also known as mini-retirements. I had not been everywhere, but it was no longer on my list. I understood the travel thing now.
On 12/12/12, blogging was literature in a hurry. Write? Right. The quicker I went, the longer it took, so there would be more posts on the subject.
As I documented the around-the-world travelogue, I kept saying: Roam Sweet Roam. Home was not where my heart was, but where my computer was. Anywhere became @nyware. Technology made location neutral.
I never confused a street address with where I actually lived. My destinations were never merely places, but new ways of seeing. The journeys themselves became the destinations.
It was never about resources. It was about resourcefulness. We are never too poor to buy our freedom. We are all time millionaires; the moment we use that currency, money becomes less central to adventure and life.
The 2012 Travel Archive
Open any month to enter the original sequence of posts. Featured entries are marked in gold, while every title links back to its EdReif.com archive page.
December 9 posts
November 24 posts
- Jade Mountain-St Lucia
- St Maarten- Divi Little Bay
- Caribbean Blue-Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These
- No Noose Is Good News
- Same Ship Different Day-The Right Mistake
- From Zero To Infinity-Pools That Blow Your Mind Featured
- Curacao - Renaissance Man
- Bonaire -Shawshank Redemption
- ABC Islands-It Ain't Much If It Ain't Dutch
- Grand Turk-Escape TO (My) Reality
- Dominican Republic-1492
- Half Moon Cay Bahamas _Sea Horses
- St Thomas USVI
- Dam Ships
- La Martinique - Caribbean Flower
- Apocalypso Now
- Barbados -The Boat Yard
- St Lucia-Banana Republic Is Hiring
- India- Losing My Religion(s)
- The Statue's not the Saint (Maarten)
- Dam Ships- The Map is the Territory
- @ The Pacific Ocean-One Taste
- Marlin Alley_Worth Seaing
- Cayman(ia) Islands-Wash And Go
October 15 posts
- Old Galveston-The Power of NEW Featured
- Cozumel-Legal Tender
- The 5 Most Boring Cities On Earth
- Houston-Big Hats No Cattle
- Miner For A Heart of Gold-Sow What You Reap
- An I For An Island
- Fiji Islands-Savusavu-Cue The Sun
- Long-Term Travel
- Cozumel-Un Mundo Nuevo
- Eco(n) Tourism in The Cayman Islands
- Welcome to The Hotel Galveston
- ApoCalypso Not Now-Aye Carumba!
- 7 Cruises I Had To Go On Before I Died
- You Do What On A Cruise Ship?
- As Seen On TV-How I Got My SAG card
September 10 posts
- Kings Point-USMMA-The Jones Act Featured
- You Get Paid For The Waiting (Acting's Free)
- Shoveling Sunshine in Paradise-
- Huna-Helped By Hidden Hands
- Book Him, Danno! Is There life After Luau?
- Eat Drink And Be Maui
- It's Called The Big Island Not The Tiny Island
- You Do What On A Cruise Ship?
- New York City- Manhattan
- Fjords-The Persistence of Memory
August 16 posts
- Alaska-The Great Land-Action Plan Featured
- Salmon Fishing- Reeling In The Years
- Wings Over Misty Fjords-Flightseeing
- Tongass---No Rain, No Rainbow Falls
- B.E.S.T. Bears Eagles Salmon Totem Poles
- In The Sky-Wings Over The Inside Passage
- S E Alaska-Here Comes The Sun-
- Tongass Rain Forest-On The Waterfront
- Misty Fjords-Active Rain
- Seattle- I Have My Reservations
- Alaska,,Where Mother Nature Lives
- Glacier Bay-WWJM(John Muir) Do?
- The Chilkoot Trail-Miner For A Heart of Gold
- Inside Passage- Grass Is Greener Where You Water
- Ketchikan- A River Runs Through It
- Tracy Arm Fjord- Inside Passage- Vivid Blues
July 13 posts
- Travels in Alaska-Quinn The Eskimo
- Juneau--The Wild Gospel of Nature
- Ketchikan-Path of Moist Resistance
- Glacier National Park-Of The Mountains
- Skagway-After The Goldrush
- Juneau-Enlightened Land Featured
- Seattle-The Flannel Manner
- Alaska-The Great One
- Washington Square- Sand Man
- The Statue of Immigration
- Wall Street-You Have Just Been Shot
- NYC-Notes From The Underground.
- Castaway Cay, Bahamas
June 7 posts
May 8 posts
April 18 posts
- An I For An Island Makes You Blind To The Cost
- The Geography Of Bliss-Write About Here
- Fiji Islands-Rocky Mountain High
- An I For An Island - Island- Living Well Is The Best
- Africa-A Review From Exactly A Year Ago!
- A Boat Load of Thomas Kinkade
- St. Thomas- Time Flys When You're Having Rum
- St Croix- United States of Unconsciousness
- Crossroad Centre Antigua
- St Lucia - Banana Bread Winner
- Grenada-How The East Was Won
- Cruising with Kierkegaard: Sons of Beaches
- Barbadoes-An Embarrassment of Coconuts
- Dominica-Carpe Manana-Seize the Tomorrow
- Basseterre St Kitts-Beautiful Day
- Napoleon Complex-St Maarten
- Everybody Wants to Cruise the World
- Take It To The Limit -One More Time Featured
March 10 posts
- 7 Cruises I Had To Go On Before I Died Featured
- Fiji Islands-Rocky Mountain High
- Goa, India-Holy Cow!
- Happy St. Pat's-Around the World in 80 Beers
- Nuku'alofa -Where Time Begins
- Alaska's Salmon
- The Geography of Bliss-cOPENhagen
- The Importance Of Being Ernest(Hemingway)
- Louisville,Kentucky-Baseball Verses Football
- Yangoon-One Hand Clapping- Smiling With One Lip
February 19 posts
- An I For An Island- Living Well Is The Best Revenge
- The Persistence Of Norway-New Zealand vs Fjord
- 3 Years of MT Experiences- (Magical Thinking) @ Sea Featured
- CDG--Mind, Body And France-It's A Beautiful Day
- Isle of Pines- New Caledonia-Escape TO Reality
- Papeete-PolYNesian Disneyland and The Audacity
- Caribbean Blue-Sails Report
- Got Kilt: Beam Me Up New Zealand
- Dakar, Senegal- AmeriCON's
- Bahamas Seagull Management
- Christ Church Earthquake- Revisited
- Indy-I'd Walk 500 Miles
- Grand Cayman: I am Steve Irwin and so can you
- Welcome To Hoover. I'm Your Dam Guide
- All Thai'd Up
- The Secret of Staying Young-Lying About Your Age
- Evian Spelled Backwards Is Naive
- Viva Las Vegan-The Burger And The King
- Full Circle-What Happens In Vegas Happened In Mac
January 9 posts
- Bora Bora- The Infinity Pool verses The God Molecule
- King Of The Mountains- It's Not Unusual
- ImagiNATION-Home Is Where The Art Is
- Windows 2012-ImagineNATION
- The Importance Of Being Ernest Without Having Ever
- Las Vegas-Heads Up
- Los Angeles-To London in 110 Days-In One yEAR
- Apocalypse (Not) Now- Santa Monica
- Happy Last Year-Write? Right! Featured
Roam Sweet Roam
The destinations were never places, but new ways of seeing things. The journeys themselves were the destinations.