St Marteen-From Monk To (Time) Millionaire
From Monk to Time Millionaire
Six times around the world. Thousands of empty horizon hours. A few moments when the sea collected every thought and left only the next necessary action.
The sea does not make life exciting. Most of the time, it makes life quiet. That is why the moments of sheer terror arrive with such authority.
The bridges burned behind me became navigation lights.
One day my life will flash before my eyes. I am making sure it is worth watching. My life has not improved by chance. It has improved by change. When in doubt, I chose movement. The changes were usually preceded by chaos, and the bridges I burned often lit the way.
At sea, the past loses its voting rights. There is no YES in yesterday. You are what you are on that watch, in that weather, with the instruments in front of you and the consequences moving toward you.
My bizarre travel plans became dancing lessons from God. As soon as someone told me to be realistic, I quietly removed them from the invitation list. We remained friendly. We simply no longer shared the same horizon.
Hours of boredom. Moments of sheer terror.
Boredom is not empty.
It is the hum of machinery. Coffee cooling beside a chart. A horizon that refuses to change. Another sweep of the gauges. Another hour in which nothing happens because someone keeps paying attention.
The discipline is not staying busy. The discipline is staying available. Zen at sea is not incense and serenity. It is noticing the small deviation before it becomes the whole story.
Then the sea removes every extra thought.
A hard roll. A wrong sound. Weather closing faster than expected. A deck that was ordinary one second earlier becoming a place where balance, sequence, and judgment matter immediately.
Terror is brief because it cannot afford philosophy. Trigger. Action. Check. Communicate. The mind becomes useful again when it stops narrating.
Every day you have to go out of your mind in order to come to your senses.A sailor's version of Zen
The joy in losing what was never freedom.
It was never mainly about resources. It was about resourcefulness. We are rarely too poor to buy our freedom because freedom is not always bought with money. Often it is bought by refusing the life we are expected to rent.
We are all time millionaires. The question is how we spend the fortune. The more time I spent at sea, the less I believed travel required wealth, permission, or a perfect plan. Whoever planted the idea that personal freedom was a luxury product was wrong.
Permanent travel became a series of mini-retirements. Not escape. Not vacation. A different accounting system. I stopped measuring life by possessions gathered and began measuring it by days I could still remember.
That was Zen. This is now.
Home is not where my heart is. It is where my work can travel.
Location neutral.
I remained a digital nomad. Anywhere became @nyware. In the Caribbean, I could be in the middle of nowhere and the center of everything at the same time, provided the connection held.
I did much of what I would have done ashore, but with different economies and a radically different view from the window. I learned to call home a feeling, not a fixed address. I never confused a street with the place where I was actually living.
The pandemic years later sharpened this lesson. When the world retreated, I already understood that isolation could be either confinement or signal. Fair Isle gave the silence teeth. The sea had prepared me: keep a rhythm, notice the weather, do the next useful thing.
The sea has no culture of perfectionism.
Failure is an option. Sometimes it is the only honest teacher available. Perfectionism makes no room for correction because it is too busy protecting appearances. The sea has no interest in appearances.
A wrong assumption becomes drift. Drift becomes distance. Distance becomes consequence. The lesson is not to avoid every error. The lesson is to notice sooner, admit faster, and correct while the correction is still small.
Experience is what you get when you did not get what you wanted. The brick wall is not always there to stop you. Sometimes it reveals how much of your desire was real and how much was performance.
Six times around the world builds confidence. It also removes illusion.
My cruising obsession became a private religion. It held the bulk of my spirit, for better or worse. It produced ideas, projects, books, and the confidence to keep moving. It also had diminishing returns. Every devotion does when it becomes identity instead of practice.
Six times around the world does not make anyone master of the sea. It makes the sea's indifference impossible to forget. Confidence is useful. Humility keeps confidence from becoming a casualty report.
Everything you can imagine is real.Pablo Picasso
Spend the fortune.
Every sunrise at sea does not bring revelation. Most bring another watch, another cup, another ordinary horizon. That is the gift. A life is not made only from its dramatic moments. It is made from attention paid during the long quiet, so that when terror arrives, you are still there to meet it.