My 12 Best Days From 2012
Roam Sweet Roam
A year of permanent travel, sea days, island thresholds and writing in motion—organized month by month without losing the weather of the original journey.
“People say that what we are all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think this is what we’re really seeking. I think what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive.”
Home as a Feeling, Not a Place
There are three types of people: those alive, those dead and those @sea. Cruising around the world has been one of the most rewarding forms of introspection. It became another stage of my re-entry into Hotel @nyware—an extended break from Normal Life, lived aboard another cruise ship.
I was living the dream of PT—Permanent Travel, also known as mini-retirements. I had not been everywhere, but it was no longer on my list. I understood the travel thing now. Blogging was literature in a hurry: Write? Right. The quicker I went, the longer it took.
Home was not where my heart was but where my computer was. Anywhere became @nyware: location-neutral, digitally connected, and unconfused by a street address. My destinations were never merely places, but new ways of seeing things. The journeys themselves became the destinations.
It was never only about resources, but resourcefulness. We are all time millionaires. The moment we choose to spend that commodity, travel becomes less about buying an adventure and more about deciding to live one.
My 12 Best Days: The 2012 Archive
Open any month to navigate the original posts. Featured entries retain their emphasis from the supplied archive.
December9 archive entries
November24 archive entries
October15 archive entries
September10 archive entries
August16 archive entries
July13 archive entries
June7 archive entries
May8 archive entries
April18 archive entries
March10 archive entries
February19 archive entries
January9 archive entries
The Journey Continues
“The destinations have never been places, but new ways of seeing things. The journeys themselves have been the destinations.”