Barbados-Infinity Again

Foreign Land / Barbados

You Are Here Travel With Me

Infinity pools, double espresso, traveller’s enthusiasm, and the dangerous possibility of overdosing on satisfaction.

A heavenly stretch of tropical beauty at the Hilton Barbados.

Four infinity pools in seven days makes one weak.

Or perhaps stronger. It depends on whether you measure the week in laps, photographs, espressos, or moments of complete satisfaction.

The Asymmetric Equation

Double Espresso + Exotic Location + Traveller’s Enthusiasm = Maximum Voltage The energy was real. The chemistry was mostly coffee.
01

Hold Infinity

A World in a Grain of Sand

The Barbados landscape made William Blake feel less like poetry and more like a field instruction.

To see a world in a grain of sand, heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

There are places where that line becomes easier to believe. Barbados was one of them.

Infinity pool in Barbados

Archive Image

Four Infinity Pools in Seven Days

One week, several vanishing edges, and a horizon that kept refusing to end.

“To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower…”
William Blake · Auguries of Innocence
02

What Are You On?

I Don’t Do Drugs. I Am Drugs.

The question kept arriving. The answer became part bicycle, part espresso, and part traveller’s enthusiasm.

When people ask, “Do you do drugs?” or “What are you on?” the first answer is simple: I am on my bike.

Furthermore: “I don’t do drugs—I am drugs.”

I am so amped up, but it is nothing more than a double espresso and some traveller’s enthusiasm.

There are some days when I think I am going to die from an overdose of satisfaction.
Barbados Field Note
03

Horse Sense

The Godfather Scene Hits Differently Now

Two horse images, two captions, and one uneasy cinematic association.

Horse archive image

Archive Image 01

I Don’t Like That Scene in The Godfather Anymore, Pal

Some movie references become less entertaining when the subject is standing in front of you.

Horse thinking

Archive Image 02

Horses Think

The expression suggests that the horse may already understand the joke.

04

The Satisfaction Ledger

What Keeps the Voltage High

The location helps, but the real amplifier is attention.

Signal 01

Move through the place.

The bicycle converts scenery into direct experience.

Signal 02

Stay awake to wonder.

Exotic locations help, but enthusiasm determines whether they register.

Signal 03

Say yes to the energy.

We are AmeriCANS, not AmeriCAN’TS.

The Elixir

You Are Here

The phrase is usually printed on a map. In Barbados, it became an instruction: stop looking for the next place long enough to feel the one beneath your feet.

Archive

Show more