Salmon Fishing- Reeling In The Years
Alaska Field Notes · King of Fish
Salmon Fishing
I had been fishing all season—not only for the fish, but for what wild salmon symbolize: the Pacific Northwest’s natural splendor.
The Call
Truly the King of Fish
I have been fishing all season, but not only for the fish. I have been fishing for what the wild salmon symbolize—the Pacific Northwest’s natural splendor.
The catch matters. The landscape around the catch matters more.
Answer the Call
The Thousand-Year Run
Separate Ketchikan Section
Ketchikan: The Urge to Merge
Foreign Land
Misty Fjords and Tongass
The Return
Here Comes the Well-Deserved Sun
Five days a year there is pure sunshine. The rest are liquid.
In Ketchikan, sun is rare enough to feel like revelation.
The Elixir
The fish is the catch. The river, forest, rain and return are the meaning.Salmon fishing becomes more than sport when the thousand-year run, Ketchikan’s rainforest and the Pacific Northwest’s natural splendor all enter the frame.