B.E.S.T. Bears Eagles Salmon Totem Poles
Alaska Origin Story · Ferry North
Bears? No Guarantee. Totem Poles? Absolutely.
I boarded the Alaska Marine Highway in Bellingham looking for passage north. By the time we reached Ketchikan, I had three job offers and an entirely different summer.
The Call
The Ferry North
I took the Alaska Marine Highway from Bellingham, Washington, to Ketchikan, Alaska. It was not supposed to be a career move. It was transportation.
Somewhere between the Inside Passage, the cold deck air and the steady parade of islands, transportation turned into recruitment. On the ferry, I was offered three different jobs for the summer.
Answer the Call
The B.E.S.T. Job I Never Applied For
I worked the docks and then worked for B.E.S.T., corralling passengers as they poured off the cruise ships looking for Alaska in concentrated form.
The product mix was unbeatable: bears, eagles, salmon and totem poles. It was less a tour than a live-action checklist of everything people hoped Alaska would be.
The only problem was wildlife. Wildlife had not read the schedule.
Trials
Can You Guarantee Bears?
Foreign Land
Bear Logic
If you are a bear, you get to hibernate. You do nothing for six months. I could deal with that.
Before you hibernate, you are supposed to gorge yourself senseless on salmon. I could deal with that too.
Bears are a proud people, although technically they are not people. They are animals. Their name is widely believed to have been borrowed from an NFL team in Chicago.
Bears have been known to attack humans, though fewer people have been killed by bears than in World Wars I and II combined—and probably World War III, should we insist on scheduling it.
Proof of Product
What We Could Guarantee
The Elixir Before the Elixir
Come On, Dog—Mush!
The Elixir
I took the ferry north looking for Alaska. Alaska looked back, handed me three job offers and put me to work.The gig was bears, eagles, salmon, totem poles and passenger management—with one essential lesson in honest tourism: never guarantee wildlife when carved cedar is standing right there.