The Statue of Immigration

Archive File · NYC / Atlantic

The Cruising Godfather · Field Notes From The Blue Frontier

The Call · SailawayNice Sail Away

New York is different from the water. Queen Mary 2 makes the distance visible, the harbor theatrical, and departure part of the destination.

Queen Mary 2 New York Harbor Sailaway The Long Way Home
Enter The Story
00

Featured Film · Sailaway

Before the story becomes memory, watch the harbor move.

This is the lead film for the page: New York receding, the ship taking command of the frame, and the journey becoming real.

The whole object of traveling is not merely to arrive. The water restores the transition that modern travel edits out. Departure becomes a scene, distance becomes experience, and the harbor becomes part of the memory.

The featured video is intentionally placed before the long-form narrative so the reader experiences the movement first and interprets it second.

01

Ordinary World · 1980

The assignment was a career. The answer was happiness.

Long before the ships and the crossings, there was a question at NYU about what kind of life was worth building.

The Happiness Assignment

Professor William J. Baumol asked what I wanted to be.

When I went to NYU in 1980, my Economics Professor William J. Baumol asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I told him “Happy.” He said I did not understand the assignment, and I told him he did not understand life.

Personal New York memory

Field Note

The Young Scholar

The pursuit of happiness was not a career goal. It became a decision rule: challenge the conventional assignment when the life behind it does not fit.

02

The Call · Any Place But Here

Departure became a philosophy.

Leaving Long Island for New York was the first crossing. The later voyages simply made the metaphor visible.

Once the culture-shock honeymoon of leaving rural Long Island for the bright lights and big city was over, I made the switch from country bumpkin to city dweller. I was what I pretended to be: urbane.

Yet to become truly cultured and worldly, I could not remain a bookworm. I had to undergo life through experiential purchases and travel. It started with the mantra: Any Place But Here.

Every departure is both an ending and a beginning.
03

Answer the Call · Queen Mary 2

The ship is not transportation. The ship is the destination.

Queen Mary 2 turns the Atlantic back into geography: a route with weather, scale, ritual, and time.

Life aboard Queen Mary 2

Evidence 01

Life of Luxury

World-class dining and the endless horizon turn the crossing itself into the experience.

Queen Mary 2 at sea

Evidence 02

Majestic at Sea

In her natural element, Queen Mary 2 makes scale and power visible in a way no airport ever can.

Queen Mary 2 scale

Evidence 03

Towering Elegance

A floating city that preserves the ritual of ocean travel while turning size into theatre.

The Sailaway Equation

Departure + Distance + Anticipation = Arrival With Meaning The ocean does not delay the destination. It gives the destination scale.
04

Foreign Land · New York Again

One belongs to New York instantly.

The paradox of home is that distance can make it unfamiliar enough to see again.

Belonging

Ten minutes or ten years.

I grew up young wanting to leave it, and I am growing old wanting to get back to it. But you cannot go home again. The future just is not what it used to be.

New York dock

Return

Back Where I Docked

The familiar harbor welcomes the traveler like an old friend, but the person returning is never exactly the person who left.

05

Trials · The Great Escape

Then the bridge makes scale operational.

The Verrazzano is not background scenery. It is a threshold. Ship, funnel, bridge, tide, timing, and clearance all converge into one frame.

Queen Mary 2 towering presence

Engineering Marvel

Precision You Can See

The dramatic bridge passage turns engineering constraints into theatre. The ship’s scale becomes understandable because the bridge gives it a reference.

Operational Meaning

Thresholds create attention.

Most travel hides its constraints. Ocean travel exposes them. Weather, clearance, route, tide and speed remain visible, and that visibility is part of the experience.

06

The Elixir · Personal Liberty

Coming home by water changed what home meant.

The skyline was no longer just steel, concrete and glass. From the harbor it became an argument about possibility.

Ed Reif and Statue of Liberty

Personal Liberty

The Torch From The Water

Seeing New York from the water transforms the approach. The skyline becomes more than architecture: it becomes possibility, memory and return.

It became the statue of my personal liberty. We do not call it the statue of immigration. We call it the Statue of Liberty.
07

Archive · 2012 New York Trip Reports

The harbor became a written world.

Four surviving visual markers from the 2012 collection: Wall Street, Manhattan, Britto, and the underground city.

Wall Street archive Wall Street — You Have Just Been Shot
Manhattan Project archive Manhattan Project — NY Is The Bomb
Unique New York Britto archive Unique New York — All You Need Is Britto
Notes From The Underground archive NYC — Notes From The Underground

Final Transmission

The long way was the point.

New York from the water, Queen Mary 2 beneath the bridge, the Statue of Liberty off the rail, and a life organized around departures: the recurring lesson is simple. Travel matters most when the route changes the person doing the arriving.

Archive

Show more