Juneau--The Wild Gospel of Nature

Alaska Field Notes · Being There

Being There

Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs. Water, weather and Juneau do the rest.

Nature’s living mirror is water—whether still or in motion. The most beautiful landscapes are exponentially better with it.

The Call

North to the Future

Ed in Juneau, Alaska
Ed in Juneau See the world. Fly Pan Am in search of what you need and return home north to the future.

The geography of bliss is Alaska—and its weather. A change in it is enough to reboot the world and ourselves.

A land of promise can still feel rugged, wet, unfinished and absolutely alive.

11,623 Eskimos can’t be wrong.

Foreign Land

Happy Mountain Raindrops

“Good luck and good work for the happy mountain raindrops, each one of them a high waterfall in itself, descending from the cliffs and hollows of the clouds to the cliffs and hollows of the rocks, out of the sky-thunder into the thunder of the falling rivers.” — John Muir

Trials

As Near the Heart of the World as I Can

Juneau landscape
Juneau’s Living Mirror Water, weather and mountain light conspire to make belief easy.

As long as I live, I’ll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing.

I’ll interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm and the avalanche.

I’ll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can.

John Muir knew that wilderness is not a backdrop. It is a teacher with its own weather, grammar and music.

The Elixir

To be there is not merely to arrive. It is to let water, weather and wilderness revise the way you see.

In Juneau, photographs become belief, weather becomes therapy, and Alaska proves that a change in climate can also be a change in consciousness.

Archive

Show more