London: Where There Is a Will, There Is a Play
Where There Is a Will, There Is a Play
England was the first foreign country I ever visited. I came to learn the language. London taught me that language was not only words. It was timing, irony, history, class, theatre, reinvention—and knowing when to enter the scene.
I crossed an ocean to learn English and discovered that I had only learned the nouns.
I was twenty when I first arrived in England. It was my first foreign country. I came to learn the language—which was funny, because I already spoke English. At least I thought I did.
London revealed another vocabulary entirely. The spoken language was only the surface. Beneath it were accents that located a person before the sentence finished, jokes delivered without warning, politeness sharpened into refusal, history hiding in street names and a national genius for saying the opposite of what was meant.
I came for English. I stayed for the subtext.
Before London, foreign was a word.
Before the first journey, another country exists as information. It is a map, a textbook, an accent on television. Then the aircraft door opens and abstraction becomes weather, pavement, money, manners and the small panic of not knowing what everyone else appears to understand.
At twenty, I did not arrive as a seasoned traveler. I arrived as a beginner wearing confidence like borrowed clothing. London was enormous, self-possessed and completely uninterested in explaining itself to me.
That indifference was useful. A true mentor does not flatter the student. It enlarges the assignment.
London did not teach English. It taught entrances.
A city this old does not feel like a destination. It feels like a production already in progress. The cast is enormous. The scenery has survived fires, wars, fashions and planning committees. Everyone enters mid-scene.
The beginner's mistake is waiting to understand the entire plot before speaking. London rewards another skill: step into the moment, listen quickly, learn the rhythm and contribute a line before the scene changes.
That became the first lesson of travel and, later, of work and life. The world rewards action, not merely intelligence. Intelligence can admire the script. Action walks onstage.
The city speaks in contradiction.
London is royal and rebellious, formal and ridiculous, ancient and permanently under construction. It contains mansions, monuments and houses so narrow they appear to have been slipped between two sentences.
That thinnest house became an architectural joke with a serious point: the city does not wait for ideal conditions. It uses the available space. London has always been forced to improvise inside its own history.
I had crossed the threshold into a place where limitation was not an excuse. It was a design brief.
Johnson supplied the diagnosis. Shakespeare supplied the stage.
Samuel Johnson's famous declaration is often credited to Shakespeare by the speed of memory, but the line belongs to Johnson: when a person is tired of London, that person is tired of life, because London contains so much of what life can offer.
Shakespeare's contribution was larger than a quotation. He gave the city a way to understand itself: identity as performance, ambition as plot, power as costume, love as misdirection and human beings forever entering, exiting and forgetting their lines.
The present Globe opened in 1997 near the site of the original playhouse. It is reconstruction as resurrection—an old form built again so living actors can risk the words in present tense.
London is not one experience. It is opposing lives compressed into walkable distance.
We become ourselves by entering scenes before we completely understand them.
A written line is potential energy. The actor's body converts it into consequence.
Where there is a will, there is a play. But the will must leave the page, cross the boards and speak.
The halls were not monuments. They were machines for becoming larger.
At the Royal Albert Hall, the stage was being prepared for a show. That detail mattered more than the finished spectacle. Cables, lights, equipment and human coordination were turning an empty circle into an event.
The Hall opened in 1871 with a mission tied to arts and sciences. Its grandeur can distract from its real lesson: culture does not simply appear. Someone rigs it, rehearses it, funds it, sweeps it and decides that a room should become capable of wonder.
London kept revealing the work beneath the mythology. Behind every curtain was a crew. Behind every institution, a long chain of people who had acted before certainty arrived.
The museum asked the oldest question: what on Earth are we?
The Natural History Museum opened in 1881, but the building feels older than certainty. It is part cathedral, part cabinet of evidence and part confrontation with scale.
Inside, human importance collapses. Bones, species, extinctions, minerals and geological time remind us that our personal drama occupies almost no space in the larger production.
And yet the museum also reveals the distinctly human impulse to collect, classify, preserve and explain. We are tiny creatures with an enormous appetite for context.
The inmost cave was not beneath London. It was beneath the ego. The city that made history feel huge also made the individual feel temporary.
The museum begins with evidence and ends by making the visitor part of the question.
The natural history museum reminds us that every sophisticated character began as biology.
London builds temples not only for faith, but for evidence, performance, memory and argument.
The younger self was still in the photograph, waiting for an answer.
Returning decades later creates a double exposure. You see the city in front of you and the person who first saw it. The monuments appear unchanged, but the observer has accumulated consequences.
The ordeal was not whether London still impressed me. Of course it did. The harder question was whether the first journey had done its work. Had I used the language? Had I entered enough scenes? Had curiosity become action—or merely a better collection of stories?
The older traveler cannot advise the person in the old photograph. Time allows no rewrites. But he can decide whether the next act will repeat the previous one.
The passport stamp was evidence that the known world had been crossed.
The value of a journey was no longer distance traveled, but what the traveler did afterward.
The West End made the lesson impossible to miss.
At the theatre, everything London had been teaching became literal. A curtain. A company. A practiced entrance. A story larger than any individual performer. The audience agreeing, for a few hours, to believe together.
42nd Street was the mother of all musicals because it understands the central myth of the stage: someone is always waiting in the wings for the moment preparation meets vacancy.
That is not only show business. It is the operating system of opportunity. Intelligence notices the opening. Action steps into the light.
The language I carried away was becoming.
I came to England to learn the language. London eventually taught me the verb that mattered most: become.
The city does not remain one thing. Roman settlement, royal capital, industrial engine, imperial archive, immigrant metropolis, financial centre, theatre district and permanent building site all occupy the same address.
London's continuity is not sameness. It survives by editing itself without erasing every previous draft. That is useful instruction for a life.
The return journey was not back to the young man in the photograph. It was forward with him—carrying his first act into a later one, accepting the continuity without pretending the character had not changed.
All the world's a stage. London is the rehearsal.
I arrived at twenty to learn English. What London gave me was a larger literacy: how to read a room, a city, a performance, a past and the character I was still writing. The first foreign country became the place where foreignness itself lost its power.
Samuel Johnson was right about the abundance. Shakespeare was right about the stage. But London added the final instruction: a life cannot remain intelligent potential. The curtain rises whether we enter or not.