Long-Term Travel
Ships · Planes · Bikes · The Elixir
Basho on a Frequent Flyer PassThe Privileged Homeless
Life without walls made every act of perception an act of creation—and every memory an act of imagination. The journey became home, and the archive became the map.
“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”
If Basho had not said it centuries ago, I would have tried. I became Basho on a frequent-flyer pass—with complimentary mojo on takeoff.
Ordinary World · The Freshness Effect
Travel makes perception feel newly invented.
Everything becomes vivid, intensely interesting, and memorable when the walls disappear.
There is no doubt about the exhilarating state of mind travel can evoke: the world suddenly feels fresh, vivid, intensely interesting, and memorable.
Life without walls—on ships, planes, and bikes—puts you in a singular category: one of the privileged homeless. It frees you up. Every act of perception becomes, to some degree, an act of creation; every act of memory becomes, to some degree, an act of imagination.
An original blog post, tweet, or status update, however trivial, could reproduce the ecstasy of first love. The experience happened once. Writing let it happen again.
“We’re all just walking each other home.” Operating Belief · The Human Route
The Call · Leading People Toward Awe
The job was not the ship. The job was the moment.
New ideas and new places create the instant when ordinary consciousness breaks open.
I thought of my jobs on ships as leading people toward moments of awe—the sudden takeover that occurs when you encounter a new idea or a place that makes the familiar world insufficient.
The call was movement, but movement alone was not the product. The product was attention: becoming continually interested in whatever surrounded me.
Call 01
Curiosity
The refusal to let familiar explanations close the world too early.
Call 02
Vulnerability
Entering a place without enough certainty to remain unchanged.
Call 03
Vocabulary
Finding language large enough to carry the experience home.
Answer the Call · Write? Right.
Freedom becomes a responsibility to find your voice.
Language, citizenship, and mobility were forms of inherited leverage. The choice was how to spend them.
Freedom is what you do with what has been done to you. Being born in the United States felt like receiving a winning ticket through circumstance. Cashing it in was a matter of choice—and responsibility.
The old joke says that someone who speaks three languages is trilingual, two is bilingual, and one is American. I turned that limitation into a profession. American English became the most powerful “drug” I knew: I found my voice and learned how to make it travel.
Blogging became literature in a hurry. People climb mountains because they are there. Bloggers write because the finished “there” is never there. The subject keeps shifting, and the searching is the fun.
Open Field Notes · Hugs, Drugs, and the American Dream
The American Dream can become a lottery or game-show mentality: the hope that one outside chance will remove financial worry forever. Yet the deeper winning ticket was mobility itself—the capacity to choose differently.
My life had to become its own message: star-spangled happiness, not as nationalism, but as responsibility. I loved the country enough to use its language and freedom beyond the default life they were often used to defend.
Foreign Land · Yangon
CNN versus the alphabet.
The digital traveler entered an analog city and discovered that disconnection could look like deprivation—or discipline.
Yangon’s analog eyes did not see the digital world I took for granted. But did it matter? Internet or InterNOT? Traveling where electricity and connectivity were limited could become less a voyage of discovery than a ritual of reassurance: I had won the lottery.
With curiosity, vulnerability, and vocabulary, I tried to articulate the Myanmar sound bite. No television, few logos, few phones, little of the twenty-four-hour news machinery. I could not buy much for seventy-two hours.
The absence created a question I could not dismiss: what happened to downtime, deep thinking, and sacred space? The city appeared to live in a form of airplane mode—a “blisscipline” that disabled the signals and made attention unavoidable.
Open Field Notes · Ramen Noodles 2.0
Ramen Noodles 2.0 was the choice between digital and analog, arguing against gravity with the effortless purity of hot water, noodles, fresh produce, eggs, and tea.
Google pulled me backward to a 1995 Cambodia note: give a man a fish and feed him for a day; give him ramen noodles and you do not have to teach him anything. The line was glib. The market was not. Without refrigeration, everyone was hustling to eat that day. Yangon stayed with me like gum in the hair.
Trials · Long-Term Travel
It was never about resources.
Time, money, and opportunity were the normal requirements. Resourcefulness was the abnormal alternative.
The Committee to Ascribe a Naval Origin to Everything is now in session: give me a wide berth, I am a loose cannon and three sheets to the wind. Anchors aweigh.
There are three sorts of people: those alive, those dead, and those at sea. As long as I was on a ship, the future remained full of possibilities that I had to limit if I wanted anything great.
I was not choosing only between experiences. I was choosing between memories of experiences. Future ports appeared first as anticipated memories.
Normal people needed time, money, and opportunity. I became the Bobby Fischer of resourcefulness, the Cosmo Kramer of planning, and the Curious George of predictable unpredictability. No matter how low the budget bar went, I could limbo under it.
The Return · Persistence of Time
The journey became an archive.
World cruise, Hawaii, and Norway reveal the same doctrine: home is not an address but a way of seeing.
The world cruise became one of the most rewarding forms of introspection: another re-entry into Hotel @nyware and an extended break from Normal Life.
Permanent travel—mini-retirements—turned “Roam Sweet Roam” into an operating system. Home was not where my heart was. Home was where my computer was. Anywhere became @nyware: location-neutral, in the middle of nowhere and the center of everything.
Technology allowed much of the American life to continue at a different scale and cost. The route was not escape from life; it was a deliberate redesign of its address.
The long retrospective: motion, introspection, and a life measured by passages.
Route 02 · Hawaii Go East, Young ManThe decision to go—and the island years that followed.
Route 03 · Huna Helped by Hidden HandsMagical thinking, movement, and the forces that appear after commitment.
Route 04 · Norway The Fjords: Norway’s EcstasyThe landscape that restored scale and turned the traveler into participant.
The Elixir · The Living Archive
The destination was a new way of seeing.
Twenty years later, the old field notes reveal one continuous voyage.
Magical thinking, moving horizons, and the ships that made the imagined life real.
Companion 02 · Declassified The Cruising GodfatherThe hidden doctrine behind a life measured in nautical miles.
Companion 03 · The Enduring Voyage Funemployment with Sarah and EdThe friendship that became partnership—and kept sailing across every horizon.
Companion 04 · The Living Map The Blue FrontierFour voyages, four forms of wealth, and the life that became a library.
Final Bearing
Home is the journey you learn to carry.
The privileged homeless are not without home. They have stopped confusing home with a street address. The ship, the plane, the bike, the blog, the market, the fjord, and the person walking beside you become temporary rooms inside one larger dwelling: attention. Every journey is home when the traveler learns how to see.