Cozumel-Un Mundo Nuevo

Cozumel · Playa del Carmen · Cancun · Carnival Miracle

Foreign LandThe Documentary Cousteau Never Made

A famous reef, a repeated myth, a ferry connection, and a land-based chase for the next ship.

01

The Land Route

Chasing the Carnival Miracle

Cozumel is renowned for a vast reef and some of Mexico’s most spectacular diving and snorkeling.

But I was on land, chasing the Carnival Miracle out of New York.

The route ran by ferry to Playa del Carmen, then by shuttle to Cancun Airport—a reef destination converted into a connection problem.

02

Reef Mythology

Cousteau, Cozumel, and the Story That Became Fact

The field note says that in 1955 Jacques-Yves Cousteau made a one-hour-and-twenty-three-minute television special that launched Cozumel’s diving industry.

Then comes the correction: according to the Cousteau Society, none of the footage was shot in Mexico.

The story may have been confused with René Cardona’s Un Mundo Nuevo, associated in the source with the worlds of Sea Hunt and Flipper.

The claim was repeated so often that it became fact—even for me.

If you tell a story long enough, it does become fact.

The Myth Equation

Repetition + Authority + Time = Accepted Memory

Cozumel Video

The Documentary Field Note

Set to Music

John Denver’s Calypso

03

Mexico Logic

A Grain of Salt, a Slice of Lemon, and a Shot of Tequila

They asked why I did not quit drinking. I told them I was not a quitter.

I had been to Mexico so many times that I learned to take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila.

You know when tequila is talking: you drink triple, see double, and act single.

Sublime is no longer something I choke on after one.

I had gone native in a Colonel Kurtz sort of way—tequila, a Hecho en México straw cowboy hat, and a willingness to let the calendar wait.

But not this trip. No more killing precious brain cells. The Mayan end of the world could wait. It was already tomorrow in Australia.

Ed Reif in Mexico with Corona and tequila glasses

Corona and Tequila

Some Memories Need Assassins

A Corona in one hand and tequila glasses—shots to the head because some memories need assassins.

Tequila Voice

Drink Triple, See Double, Act Single

04

MexiCAN

Change Your Latitude

I used to be a MexiCAN’t. Now I am a MexiCAN.

You cannot be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. A football team helps. Nuclear weapons may help. But at the very least, you need a beer.

The Cliff Notes on Corona: a gold standard for Latin American lagers. Its category position was Mexican beer. Its slogan was change your latitude. Its mantra was vacation, no worries, relax.

Corona’s many slogans all sell the same product: the feeling of vacation.
Aquatic life photograph from Cozumel

Aquatic Life

Reef Archive 01

Underwater or coastal photograph from Cozumel

Aquatic Life

Reef Archive 02

Companion Stories

Continue Through Mexico

The Elixir

The Reef Was Real. The Myth Was Useful.

Cozumel did not need Cousteau footage to become extraordinary. The reef, the ferry, the missed ship, and the repeated stories already supplied enough material.

Travel + Myth + Correction = A Better Story.

Archive

Show more