Shoreham By Sea, UK
Brighton / Sea Years / Reinvention
No Noose Is Good News
A travel writer runs out of worlds to conquer, comes ashore on the English Channel, counts his blessings, and discovers that a bicycle can turn friction into momentum.
The Trial
“If you smell something burning, it is my future as a travel writer going up in smoke.”
The future of voyage journaling just isn’t what it used to be. I visited enough inhospitable and exotic locations—human Petri dishes from Angkor Wat to the Philippines, India, and Dakar—but the shock-and-awe omnivore revelations eventually felt like stunts.
What remained was the elevated sense of otherworldliness offered by Melville, Hemingway, Conrad, Kipling, and Bashō: travel by proxy, travel as interior movement, travel as the temporary suspension of the ordinary routine.
The Asymmetric Equation
Comfort Protected Too Long = Regret Compounded The trial begins when a former source of freedom becomes another routine.No More Worlds to Conquer
The Narrow Road to the Interior
The landscape was still spectacular. The harder question was whether novelty alone could continue to produce meaning.
In my Scandinavian version of Bashō’s Narrow Road to the Interior, I had the One Taste experience: waterfalls, misty fjords, Vikings, Geirangerfjord, Stavanger, and Oslo.
The ecstasy of Norway was simple: I was not doing my ordinary everyday routine. I had stepped into an alternative reality.
In Oslo I had a small epiphany: “I’m past the point of no return. I’ll just concern myself with the best way of moving forward.” There is no absolute grid where things occur independently of our thinking about them. At the beginning of the day, it is all possibility. At the end of the day, results.
The Asymmetric Equation
Silence + Distance = Signal Foreign landscapes become useful when they interrupt the automatic story.Carma Cafe
No Menus. You Get Served What You Deserve.
At sea, introspection felt like a private religion. On land, the automatic nervous thoughts returned.
At sea, I practiced my own private religion, where the bulk of my soul and spirit had been invested. Call it introspective, narcissistic, but certainly neuro. Travel brought power and love back into the quotidian life.
On land, the ANTs arrived—Automatic Nervous Thoughts. In Los Angry Cars, and even at a local garage, the subject matter felt too pedestrian: a round-trip ticket only twenty-four hours away from “civilization.”
I like writing about travel, but I do not like the paperwork. So I blog. It is digital narcissism—literature in a hurry. The on-demand universe is convenient, but a power-grid meltdown would have the same effect as a stroke on my thought process.
I do not believe in the church of Hello and BUY, the shared superstition of in-your-face consumerism, or the treadmill that says freedom must be purchased in two-week vacation increments. “The more you know, the less you need” was printed on a shirt I saw in Darwin. With that kind of thinking, you do not need drugs. You are drugs.
Everything changes. Everything is connected. Pay attention.
The Asymmetric Equation
Everything Changes + Everything Connects + Attention = Sea Wisdom The sea does not solve the mind. It gives the mind enough space to see itself.The Cure for Anything
Tears, Sweat, and the Sea
The ports of call were physical locations, but the most durable arrivals were spiritual and mental.
My touch-and-go ports of call were more spiritual and mental moments than physical events. The conclusion: No Noose Is Good News.
There are only three types of people: those alive, those dead, and those at sea. The cure for anything is salt—tears, sweat, and the sea.
The place I would most like to go? Nowhere. Like the sea, nowhere offers respite from movement and distraction. It is stillness.
Someday I will look back at posting to Facebook and Blogger, feel uncomfortable, and change the subject. Blogging can resemble drunk-dialing friends: a mouse potato in suspended animation, living in the click-and-mortar cloud instead of bricks-and-mortar real life.
The obligation to return with something new—landscapes, people, cultures, languages, foods nobody has heard of—gets harder every time. Alexander the Great supposedly wept when there were no more worlds to conquer. I looked into the cool English Channel and decided there was no way I was swimming that day. England does not give you climate. It gives you weather.
The Asymmetric Equation
Stillness + Attention = Enough Nowhere becomes a destination when movement is no longer required for meaning.One Plus One
The Hardest Arithmetic Is Counting Blessings
Gratitude requires a long apprenticeship, but travel can provide a legitimate shortcut from taking life for granted to receiving it with attention.
1 + 1 = Infinity.
The hardest arithmetic I have had to master is the kind that enables me to count my blessings. It requires a long apprenticeship—Gladwell’s ten thousand hours, or ten years of practice.
Cruising around the world provides a legitimate shortcut for taking things with gratitude instead of for granted. Despite the spectacular scenery and itineraries, the universe is in our head, not out there separate from us. We are co-creators of our world, and we affect that world—and the worlds of others—even at a distance.
The Asymmetric Equation
Attention × Intention = Meaning Gratitude compounds when the ordinary is noticed on purpose.A Bike and a Prayer
Turn Friction Into Momentum
The bicycle is rideable art, carbon offset, random-tour generator, and a practical revolt against the church of bigness.
As long as I am riding a bike, I know I am the luckiest guy in the world. Do not buy upgrades. Ride up grades.
The bicycle was the greatest incident of the nineteenth century: one of the most influential pieces of product design and the most civilized conveyance around. It is not brain surgery. It is rocket science.
I am my own engine, converting calories into gas. My bike gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon, with no parking problems. Why waste life in friction—cars—when it can be turned into momentum—bikes?
Burn carbohydrates instead of hydrocarbons. One seldom exchanges anything but the finger or an insurance company’s name with another driver. The car inhibits human connection.
Think of bicycles as rideable art that can almost save the world. It is anarchy without malice. There is always a thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. It is not merely a way of getting somewhere. It is a backdrop for randomness.
Life is too random to be left entirely to chance. Work to eat. Eat to live. Live to bike. Bike to work.
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. — John F. Kennedy
The Asymmetric Equation
Calories + Momentum = Freedom A small machine turns personal effort into range, randomness, and connection.Northern Europe Field Images
The Metal Cowboys
Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Estonia, and Warnemünde proved that the bicycle was not a nostalgic prop. It was an operating system for cities.
Northern Europe is bike-friendly too. Forget suicidal winters and the reputation for the safest cars on Earth. Saab and Volvo can take a back seat. Stockholm has bike paths everywhere, making it easy to move among the islands.
In Amsterdam, cyclists are everywhere—and you are more likely to get hit by one than by a car. Copenhagen is open because everybody rides. Estonia asks the right question: “What am I on?” I’m on my bike.
When I ride, I no longer despise the human race. I still use the rules of the road, the rules of cycling, and Einstein’s gravity. But I am mentally far from civilization—and far from somebody stuck on the 405 trying to find a parking spot.
The Asymmetric Equation
Movement + Randomness = Discovery The unorganized tour often produces more life than the perfectly managed itinerary.From the Book Shelf
Where the Travel Writing Became a Philosophy
Hawaii was the original laboratory. This chapter records what happened when its lessons—time wealth, enoughness, attention, and asymmetrical living—were tested at sea, in England, and on bicycles across Europe.
Who Wants to Be a Time Millionaire?
Time Is Wealth
Time lesson: Freedom is not a two-week product. It is authority over attention, pace, and movement.
Chapter connection: Time: The True Currency.
Equation: Attention × Intention = Meaning.
MAHA
Enoughness Before Accumulation
Happiness lesson: The more you know, the less you need.
Framework: Notice More. Want Less. Live More.
Field proof: A bike ride and a cold English beach can outperform the consumption treadmill.
Living an Asymmetrical Life
The Trial After the Adventure
Hero’s Journey stage: Trials.
Chapter connection: Hawaii Years and Sea Years.
Asymmetric bet: Trade status and friction for time, movement, and experiences with uncapped meaning.
Mental Model
Friction Into Momentum
Do not merely reduce resistance. Redirect it into a form that moves you.
45-Second Rule
Audit the Next Commitment
Before buying, upgrading, driving, posting, or agreeing, pause for 45 seconds: Will this create more time, attention, movement, or connection?
Field Lesson
Freedom Must Be Practiced
Travel does not automatically produce wisdom. Experience becomes useful only after reflection changes the next decision.
The Asymmetric Equation
Experience + Reflection = Wisdom The journey becomes part of the larger body of work only when it changes how life is lived afterward.Companion Stories
Continue the Field Record
The Elixir Ahead
Do Not Buy Upgrades. Ride Up Grades.
The travel writer did not run out of material. He ran out of faith in novelty as a substitute for attention. The new work begins closer to home: counting blessings, choosing movement, and carrying the sea’s three instructions onto land—everything changes, everything is connected, pay attention.
The Asymmetric Equation
Clarity + Risk + Time = Asymmetric Return Choose the smaller vehicle, the wider horizon, and the life that leaves room for surprise.