Brooklyn, New York-Sail Away

World Cruise / Life at Sea

Hong Kong to Southampton

A maritime memoir carried by Queen Mary 2: Hong Kong memories, New York Harbor, the Atlantic crossing and the return to Southampton.

Opening Bearing
It is not a cruise but a voyage; not a cruise ship, but a liner—the last of the great ocean-going liners.

The title names the larger journey. The photographs concentrate on its Atlantic chapter: New York Harbor, the open ocean and Southampton. Sarah Kennedy and Ed Reif are onboard the last of the great ocean liners.

Passage Log

From harbor theatre to open water

The voyage moves through six scenes: entrance, arrival, bridge clearance, Manhattan, the Atlantic and Southampton.

Stage 01

Sailing Into New York Harbor

The magnificent approach aboard Queen Mary 2. Sailing past the Statue of Liberty and beneath the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge is maritime theatre at its finest.

Stage 02

New York Harbor Arrival — “I knew then…”

The Manhattan skyline turns arrival into recognition: you are experiencing something that belongs to the golden age of ocean travel.

Stage 03

Verrazzano Bridge Clearance

The funnel passes under the bridge with only feet to spare. Engineering precision becomes a public drama played out above the harbor.

Stage 04

Manhattan Adventures

Central Park, Circle Line and the city from land and sea—the urban counterpoint while Queen Mary 2 rests at her berth.

Stage 05

Atlantic Crossing

Seven days across the same water travelled by generations before us, aboard a ship designed not merely to visit the ocean but to cross it.

Stage 06

Southampton Arrival

The home port of Cunard and the sight of the sister Queens complete the passage in the grandest maritime tradition.

Moving Images

Two moments from the crossing

Bridge Clearance

Under the Verrazzano

Watch the dramatic bridge clearance in action.

Atlantic Crossing

The grandeur of the voyage

Seven days of ocean, distance and the particular rhythm of a liner.

Voyage Gallery

New York to Southampton

Every image opens at full size in a new tab.

Sailing Into New York Harbor
The Grand Approach

Sailing Into New York Harbor

The magnificent Queen Mary 2 approaching New York Harbor. The last of the great ocean liners makes her stately entrance into America’s greatest port.

New York Harbor Arrival
I knew then…

New York Harbor Arrival

That moment when the Manhattan skyline turns arrival into theatre and connects the voyage to the golden age of ocean travel.

Verrazzano Bridge
Inches to Spare

Verrazzano Bridge

The ship’s funnel passes beneath the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge: engineering precision meeting maritime drama.

Manhattan Adventures
NYC Exploration

Manhattan Adventures

Central Park, Circle Line and the city from both land and water while Queen Mary 2 rests at her berth.

New York City Views
Urban Maritime Magic

New York City Views

Manhattan’s skyline seen from the water—the perspective reserved for those arriving and departing by ship.

All Three Queens
Southampton Gathering

All Three Queens

Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth gathered in Southampton, home waters of the Cunard fleet.

Field Notes

What made the voyage memorable

Signal 01

Last of the Great Ocean Liners

Queen Mary 2 carries the working tradition of the true transatlantic liner.

Signal 02

Bridge Clearance Drama

The Verrazzano passage turns navigation and scale into visible theatre.

Signal 03

New York Harbor Entrance

Statue of Liberty, skyline and ship combine in one of travel’s great arrivals.

Signal 04

Transatlantic Crossing

Seven days in which distance is not an inconvenience but the whole point.

Signal 05

Manhattan Adventures

Central Park and Circle Line create the land-and-water counterpoint.

Signal 06

Cunard White Star Service

British maritime hospitality gives the crossing its ritual and rhythm.

Sea Change

20,000 leagues into my brain

Working on ships was a real life saver—and a life extension.

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.”

Putting the he in hero, all action-adventure films have the same moral: perseverance pays. Of all the things I am not content doing, living on land is the most outstanding. I was an armchair sea dog, growing up on LAWNGUYLAND—Long Island, New York—dreaming of going places. I had never stepped onto even a motorboat. I never started, and therefore I never failed.

“How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.”

Let the Orinoco flow. Travel can produce an exhilarating state of mind in which everything becomes fresh, vivid, intensely interesting and memorable.

My universe is made of stories, not atoms: land, air and sea travel, and the power of now. If I wanted to become a multinational soul, I could not do it in the cities where I taught English—New York, Los Angeles, Paris or Tokyo—alone. I needed to be consecrated by sailing on the oceans. It is a wonderful thing to get rid of everything and everybody and go somewhere you know no one; where, as Melville said, God’s one and only voice is silence.

Despite the camaraderie, the laughs, the jollies and the tribalism that attend any cruising project, the profession remains notoriously lonely. Friendships are intense but brief. When the gig ends or the curtain comes down, you can find yourself back home staring at your phone and wondering whether any of it really happened. Memories are short. Time moves on. Fame is transitory.

Nothing fails like excess. Six times around the world does build confidence. It is not real life but an alibi—like going out of your mind every day in order to come to your senses. It is a blessing.

In my own private mythology, blessing sits beside the French blessure: wound. A blessing carries another side. My cruising obsession—this invisible wound—became a private religion, the place where much of my spirit was invested. Yet I was divinely compensated. The wisdom of excess is that we die to the present tense and are born again in the future perfect: heroes of our own lives.

“Freedom is what you do with what has been done to you.” — Jean-Paul Sartre

I would add: freedom is what you do with what has been done to you by your own thoughts, words and actions.

Original Voyage Notes

The crossing in figures

Figures retained from the source draft.

7Days Atlantic Crossing
3,090Nautical Miles
236Feet Ship Height
2,695Passengers
151,400Gross Tonnage
228Feet Bridge Clearance
Life at Sea

A fleet of adventures and maritime memories

Every supplied image has been retained. Open the archive to browse the longer sea-life sequence.

Open the complete maritime image archive
Queen Mary 2 Atlantic Crossing

Queen Mary 2 Atlantic Crossing

Sailing across the Pond on the shortest bridge between New York and Europe. It is not a cruise but a voyage; not a cruise ship, but a liner—the last of the great ocean-going liners.

A Real Life Saver and Life-Extension

A Real Life Saver and Life-Extension

Working on ships has been more than a career. It has been a journey of self-discovery, adventure and transformation across the seven seas.

Venice Beach, California

Venice Beach, California

A place noted for second chances—where I gave myself permission to LEAVE ASAP and recreate my identity.

Continuous Learning

Continuous Learning

Rule of thumb: if I am not embarrassed enough by who I was last year, I am probably not learning enough.

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Glacier Bay, Alaska

The Great Land. Leaving the ritual of ordinary living, I embarked on an unplanned trip and became the Accidental Sailor.

FunEmployment

FunEmployment

Success at sea is continued enthusiasm despite failure after failure. Instead of punching a clock, you head for the high seas.

2012 Adventures

2012 Adventures

The journey continues—magnetized and full of charisma, always managing to stay on course without realizing it.

Greek Isles 2009

Greek Isles 2009

Early maritime explorations: Mediterranean cruising and ancient cultures.

cOPENhagen

cOPENhagen

Wake up and smell opportunity—Scandinavian culture and the beauty of Northern European ports.

Fiji — Freedom Island

Fiji — Freedom Island

The cure for anything is salt water—sweat, tears or the sea. Freedom is not free, but it is not for sale.

Full Speed Ahead

Full Speed Ahead

There are three sorts of people: those who are alive, those who are dead and those who are at sea.

An I for an Island

An I for an Island

Living well is the best revenge. The sea is the place I house my soul and access my higher self.

Gauguin Inspiration

Gauguin Inspiration

Freedom is what you do to what has been done to you by your own thoughts, words and actions.

Long View

The life behind the voyage

12+Ships Sailed
50+Countries Visited
6Times Around the World
Memories Made
SeaLife Transformed
Companion Posts

Hong Kong to Southampton links

All requested articles are retained as visible, clickable links. The URLs are used exactly as supplied.

“I’m beginning to think that maybe it is not just how much I love being at sea. Maybe what matters is who I am when I am doing it. I’m my best self.”

Wherever I go, there I am.

Archive

Show more