Greece-An Instant Classic
Greece · Beginner's Mind · The Hero's Journey
The Greeks Put the HE in Hero My Myth Lets Me Know Where I Am
Homer gave us the public dream. Travel gave me the private myth. Somewhere between Athens, Aigina and the open sea, the journey stopped being a collection of places and became a way of authoring a life.
Ordinary World · The Journey Is Home
Public Dreams. Private Myths.
“Every day is a journey,” wrote Basho, “and the journey itself is home.” I am Basho on a frequent-flyer pass. What am I on? I don’t do drugs. I am drugs. I’m a one-man National Geographic on that everywhere trip.
The myths of Homer’s epic Odyssey are public dreams. My dreams of cruising around the world are private myths, lived with my eyes wide open.
The journey is the operating system.
The Call · Myth as Compass
The Greeks Put the HE in Hero
Threshold · Acting As If
Life Happens FOR Me, Not TO Me
My T.O.E.—Time On Earth—doesn’t always read as a legible diary, or even a larger-than-life biography. The best thing I can say is that I am ACTING AS IF: as if it had been my intention all along.
With that empowering thought I evoke my will and get to say life happens FOR me, not TO me. The whole damn adventure is its own payday. It has the mountaintops and the valleys, all of them beyond control.
My Myth lets me know where I am.
Trials · Write? Right!
Leave Traces of the Life You Lived
Write? Right! · Blogging as an inventory of a life
Proust decided he had done enough living by age thirty and spent the rest of his life processing the life he had lived. I chose motion and reflection at the same time.
If I said “I know what I like” too early, I might really mean that I had accepted the taste of the culture I was swimming in. Authenticity became the preoccupation.
Blogging is literature in a hurry. It began as vanity and became discipline: an inventory, a torch for the meaningful life, and a hedge against self-doubt. It became a place to leave traces of the ebb and flow of travel.
The web turns plain text into lived experience
To read is to translate, because no two people’s experiences are the same. The web adds pictures, video and visual vocabulary, turning plain text from flat to fantastic and giving eccentric detail to an ambiguous life.
If you truly know exactly where you are going, maybe you should not want to go there. Uncertainty is the salt of life.
Revelation · The Quest Is in the Questions
Consciousness Over Speed
We live in the space of the nanosecond. Posting is an exercise in becoming someone other than who we used to be while remaining, astonishingly, who we are. It only ends once, so everything else is progress.
“How can I do things faster and in less time?” is the wrong question. Doing things faster can rob the future of potential and the past of relevance. Doing things with consciousness is what it is all about.
Travel has its own scale. Geography may be gigantic, but a small thing picked up along the way can touch the heart every bit as much as an iconic landmark.
The Quest is in the questions.
Return · From Experience to Narrative
You Undergo the Story Before You Tell It
“You should write a book.” I’d rather shoot a movie—with sequels. A show rather than a tell-all. How can I compose a story big enough, deep enough and broad enough to encompass the reality of my life?
When I’m at sea, immersed in action, I am the protagonist. You can’t create experiences like this. You undergo them.
The power of narrative comes forth when I am engaged in the telling—or selling— of these accounts.
There are three versions: the edited inside version, the story I tell the world, and the created self—the real-life story. Depending on audience, motive or mood, the countless possible versions can vary widely.
The Elixir · Beginner's Mind
From the American Dream to the YOUniverse
When we tell our own story—and write our own autobiography—we begin to live more consciously and unfold our own myth, with ourselves as producer and director, going out to sea in an infinity of hope, with final cut.
There is a uniqueness to inhabiting our own life when we follow our bliss. Most of the time we never fully get inside our own lives.
That is the difference between living mythically—the inherited dream—and living autobiographically: consciously authoring the YOUniverse you inhabit.
Companion Voyages · Greece and the Eastern Mediterranean
Seven More Ways Into the Story
Return to the original doorway: Greece as a place where travel, myth, authorship and the beginner’s mind collide.
Open Companion Story Ancient Greece Corinth — Ancient CityAnother encounter with the ancient world, where landscape becomes historical memory.
Open Story Eastern Mediterranean Cyprus — Digging ItA companion journey into layers of place, memory and discovery.
Open Story Greece · Nafplio Palamidi FortressHeight, history and perspective: Greece viewed from the fortress above Nafplio.
Open Story Greece · Crete Crete — Big IslandThe Greek journey widens into an island world with its own scale and identity.
Open Story Passage · 2018 Suez Canal CrossingThe voyage continues eastward: a threshold between seas, regions and chapters.
Open Story Later Reflection · 2025 A Magic Carpet RideA later chapter in the same larger travel mythology: movement turned into meaning.
Open Story