From Port to Port: Lessons from a Floating Life

World Voyages: Sailing the Seven Seas

Ed & Sarah · A moving archive

World Voyages Sailing the Seven Seas

Haven’t been everywhere. But it is on the list—in deliberately non-alphabetical order.

Seven voyage notes Three films Europe · Asia · Middle East · USA · UK · SE Asia
Cruise Departure

The journey begins where the land ends. Rome was just the runway...

The travel brief

Free to know. Free to go. Free to do.

Haven't been everywhere, but it's on the list, in NON-ALPHABETICAL ORDER. Curated some video and photos of our trips around the globe. Europe, Asia, Middle East, USA, UK, SE Asia. You name it, Sarah and I have been there! Free to KNOW, GO and DO.

01

The Voyage Log

Seven notes on Rome, sea travel, Joseph Campbell, ownership, and the long conversion of “Just Do It” into “Just Done.”

01

Rome as runway

When I landed in Rome, everything took off—literally and spiritually. Aviation and navigation have always felt intuitive to me, like ordering a coffee at Starbucks or sending an email. I fold myself up like carry-on luggage, ready to deploy at any destination. FCO Airport was no exception—it was my personal launchpad.
02

Travel as practice

To travel well is to live well. Done right, the road—or the sea—becomes your teacher. I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list. So is embracing the multinational mindset: an AmeriCAN, never an AmeriCANT.
03

Consecration at sea

I tried doing it on land alone—NYC, LA, London, Tokyo. These cities were my "right mistakes"—ill-planned perhaps, but perfectly useful detours. Eventually, I realized I needed a consecration at sea. For the past seven years, I've been circling the globe by water, transforming "Just Do It" into "Just Done." One voyage, no dry runs.
04

The call to adventure

I Myth You — Joseph Campbell

The awe in awesome came back to me in May and June. Even more importantly, I put the HE back in hero. Following the call described in Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth, I began to feel it—the rapture of being alive. Sailing to the Arctic Circle was once a dream. Now? "Just Done It." Swish.
05

Ownership

Don't RENT your life. OWN it.

Live your dreams now—not your backup plan.
06

The first Grand Voyage

They call it Planet Earth, but it's mostly water. I hopped on a one-hour train to Civitavecchia, Italy—the port for Holland America's Prinsendam—and embarked on the first of two Grand Voyages.
07

The journey itself is home

"Every day is a journey," wrote Bashล, "and the journey itself is home." If the Zen poet hadn't said it 300 years ago, I would have. I'm Bashล with a frequent flyer pass—mojo included.
02

Three Films from the Waterline

The Irish Sea. The Cornish coast. Fair Isle at the edge of the map.

Ready for YOUR next voyage? Let the ocean be your mentor and the horizon your goal.

The horizon is not the finish line

Archive

Show more