Copenhagen-The Little Mermaid and H2OMG

Copenhagen Field Notes · The Elixir

Counting Blessings in Copenhagen

The Little Mermaid, the arithmetic of gratitude, and the way travel rewires attention before memory turns the voyage into a permanent possession.

The Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen
Every time I visit this town, the Little Mermaid is missing for repairs, vandalism or reconditioning. Today I got to see her, and she is, well, little.

The hardest arithmetic I have had to master is the one that enables me to count my blessings. It requires a long apprenticeship. Think Gladwell’s 10,000 Hours of Practice Rule, or ten years.

Cruising around the world provides a legitimate shortcut for taking things with gratitude instead of for granted. June 2015 is a British Isles and Norwegian Fjords combination cruise. Lots of H2OMG.

Travel can alter perceptions and may even rewire your brain. Novelty and unique, one-of-a-kind experiences raise dopamine levels, the chemical in your head that gives you optimism, curiosity and creativity.

This gift of pure attention is harder to achieve when your brain is on French fries, the default American mode, when your chi or energy is Velcro for negative experiences but Teflon for positive ones.

Before you can take your path, you must live it in thought. Your own thoughts.

Signal 01

State It, Then Create It

Travel becomes a private religion of attention: no interference, no borrowed judgment, no second-hand map.

My Private Religion

Religion is other people’s experience. My thoughts are my own private religion, and they make me travel and create archives of memories and expectation where I incinerate negativity and cultivate a mindfulness of pure attention, without advice and without judgments.

The Non-Interference Rule

When I am traveling, I am what I am right there. Like some Starfleet commander, I endorse Captain Kirk’s recommended policy of non-interference with alien civilizations.

Signal 02

Wired Versus Tired

Grey matter changes when thoughts become repeated routes instead of temporary weather.

Signal 03

The Three Ps

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Count the Blessings

The hardest arithmetic I have had to master is the one that enables me to count my blessings. Cruising around the world provides a legitimate shortcut for taking things with gratitude instead of for granted.

Use Your Marbles

Each time you repeat a particular thought or action, you strengthen the connection between a set of brain cells or neurons. Neurons that wire apart fire apart. Different thoughts create different pathways. Use it or lose it.

Archive

Images From the Route

Companion Route

Continue the Journey

The Elixir

The cruise may last four days or a week. Anticipation lasts for months. Memory can last forever.

The joy is not only in doing the voyage. It is in expecting it, living it, and carrying the archive home.

Archive

Show more