Santa Monica, CA- My Pier Group
My Piers
I returned to Santa Monica expecting landfall. What I found was the harder voyage: a harbor for people who did not intend to sail, a Hotel California above the Pacific, and sixteen floors between insight and action.
The hero does not always leave home. Sometimes he returns to it and discovers that home has become the foreign country.
At sea, motion had become normal.
For years, the world had arrived as weather. Ports appeared, gangways lowered, passports opened, and the horizon kept issuing new instructions. I had learned to live inside movement. A cabin was a room. A route was a routine. Departure required less courage than staying.
The sea simplified the contract. Keep watch. Read the conditions. Do the next useful thing. Long hours of boredom were interrupted by moments of sheer terror, and both demanded the same discipline: attention.
Then California appeared again. Not as the promised land, but as an old story waiting to see whether I had changed.
Nice to be back with my piers.
The joke arrived before the wisdom: it was good to be back with my piers. The Santa Monica Pier reached over the water like a ship that had changed its mind. It offered all the symbols of departure—pilings, lights, salt, gulls, horizon—without the inconvenience of actually leaving.
This was the People’s Republic of Santa Monica, a sovereign state of slackers, dreamers, therapists, screenwriters, bicycle mystics, start-up philosophers, and members of the intelligentsia who could explain the world beautifully while postponing their own entrance into it.
I recognized the citizens because I had carried all of them inside me.
The harbor for people who do not intend to sail.
Santa Monica made postponement look intelligent. One could spend the morning refining the vision, the afternoon discussing structural obstacles, and the evening watching the sun set over a future that remained safely hypothetical.
The city rewarded the appearance of imminent departure. Everyone had a project. Everyone was about to begin. Scripts lived in backpacks. Companies lived in pitch decks. Reinventions waited inside coffee shops for the correct sequence of funding, weather, confidence, and universal permission.
It was a waiting room with an ocean view. The danger was not failure. The danger was becoming so articulate about possibility that action began to seem crude.
“Intelligence can name the tide. Action is what unties the boat.”The first law of the People’s Republic
The Pacific gave no advice.
The mentor was not a person. It was the horizon—a straight line that refused to flatter me. It did not care how much I knew, how far I had traveled, or how elegantly I could explain my contradictions.
The ocean had always been a ruthless editor. At sea, an idea either survived contact with wind, weight, distance, and fatigue, or it did not. Santa Monica returned that lesson in gentler clothing. The water said nothing. The silence made the instruction harder to avoid.
Choose a course. Accept what the choice excludes. Move before intelligence reconvenes the committee.
Checking into the Hotel California.
Every hero crosses a threshold. Mine had an elevator.
Pacific Plaza lifted me above the noise and placed the Pacific at eye level. From there, the city became legible. Streets formed grids. Traffic became current. The pier looked like a compass needle pointing west.
But elevation creates its own illusion. From high enough, everything looks navigable. Distance becomes scenery. Risk becomes geometry. The sixteenth floor offered perspective, but perspective is not passage.
The three temptations of dry land.
He called inertia freedom. Sometimes he was right. More often, he used rejection of the wrong race to avoid choosing a better one.
He kept possibility pure by refusing to expose it to deadlines, markets, criticism, weather, or other people.
He could explain every system except the one operating his own delay. His map was brilliant. His vessel remained tied up.
These were not enemies outside the gate. They were members of my crew. Each had useful knowledge. Each could also stage a mutiny.
The task was not to destroy them. It was to put them on watch under proper command.
The sixteenth floor.
The inmost cave had carpet, glass, and a vertical view.
From the sixteenth floor, I could see the ocean I had crossed and the city I had returned to. The view held both lives at once: the sailor who knew how to leave and the citizen who had to learn how to remain.
The question was no longer, Where can I go? The passport had answered that repeatedly.
The question was, What will I make true now that I am here?
The death of potential.
Potential is a flattering ghost. It preserves every possible version of us while requiring the death of none. Action is less romantic. Action chooses one life and abandons the others.
That was the ordeal. Not the ocean. Not the mileage. Not the foreign ports. The ordeal was accepting that intelligence, travel, insight, and reinvention were not achievements until they altered behavior.
The world rewards action, not intelligence. It rewards the book written, not the book understood; the call made, not the conversation rehearsed; the vessel launched, not the flawless voyage imagined from shore.
At sea, a missed tide announces itself. On land, a missed tide can disguise itself as another comfortable year.
“The view was the revelation. The elevator down was the decision.”Hotel California logbook
The epiphany was an instruction.
The reward was not certainty. It was a smaller, more useful thing: a true next move.
I did not need another panoramic view of my options. I needed one direction with weight on it. The hero returns with an elixir, but the elixir is rarely magic. Mine was operational:
See clearly. Choose narrowly. Move visibly.
The world could not answer a private revelation. It could answer a published page, a booked passage, a completed application, an honest invitation, a body arriving where it had promised to be.
The hero takes the elevator down.
The city looks solvable. The horizon looks available. Every future remains intact.
Possibilities begin to close. A course becomes real because other courses are being refused.
The objections return: timing, money, reputation, readiness. The committee reconvenes.
The decision is translated into something visible—an email, a page, a meeting, a departure.
The doors open. Philosophy ends. The body enters the world.
Dry land becomes the new sea.
The returning sailor does not lose the sea. He carries its disciplines inland.
Traffic becomes current. Deadlines become weather. Distraction becomes fog. Routine becomes watchkeeping. The same question remains: what matters now, and what is the next useful thing?
The resurrection was not becoming someone new. It was bringing the tested self into ordinary hours. No applause. No gangway. No captain’s announcement. Just the difficult miracle of behaving in accordance with the epiphany.
A harbor is not a hiding place.
I returned to Santa Monica carrying stories from the sea, but stories were not the treasure. The treasure was a rule for living on dry land:
Do not confuse a view with a voyage, intelligence with movement, or a harbor with a life.
The pier can remind us that departure exists. The chair can reveal the course. The sixteenth floor can provide the bearing. But eventually the hero must descend, walk inland, and make the invisible visible.
Santa Monica remained a waiting room for slackers, dreamers, and the intelligentsia. I remained all three. The difference was command. They could advise the voyage. They could no longer cancel it.
Nice to be back with my piers. Better to leave the pier with a purpose.
The Pacific did not ask whether I was ready. The city did not reward what I understood. The elevator doors opened onto the ordinary world, which is where every revelation must finally prove itself. I stepped out carrying no treasure but a course—and this time, I moved.