Venice Beach- My Wishbone Is My Backbone

My life, based on a true story, is downright paranormal. How the hell did I get here?

Field Note 01 · Being T/Here

A Genius—or a Genie?

Whatever talent I possess—or possessed—is on loan from some deity, some unimaginable source and force, for some exquisite portion of time. It is here to be passed on when I am finished.

The most extraordinary aspects of my being did not come from me. The sparks of epiphany I occasionally get are less about being a genius and more about having a genie: making wishes, showing up, being T/Here.

Fear is for folks who do not get out very much. Outdoors is in.

“When you define me, you negate me.” So let me tell my own idiosyncratic story.
Ed Reif in flight, representing the freedom to define his own story
Tell your own story before someone else reduces it to a label.

Field Note 02 · Life’s Change Agent

I’m a Renaissance, Man

When I started blogging about my experiences at sea—the blessings and gifts of that unique lifestyle—I began answering the question: What is the meaning of life?

I got one: find what you love and let it kill you. Then you will be born again on a planet of new inexperiences. I am not a Renaissance man. I am a Renaissance, man.

Do not ask me to swallow the ocean. I did not do any of this on my own. Serendipity and meaningful coincidences once warped my digital narcissism into believing I had everything to do with whatever was happening. The painful reconciliation came when the reversals arrived and the future was no longer what it used to be.

You can never plan the future by the past.

A Pacific coast scene connecting Venice Beach and Santa Monica
The Pacific edge: where mobility becomes both instinct and argument.
Journey Equation Showing Up + Movement + Attention = A Life in Progress

Field Note 03 · Earth School

Those Who Do Not Move Do Not Notice Their Chains

It is hard to win back-to-back championships. “The sky’s the limit” is a problematic vibe because it persuades us that we can—and should—keep succeeding beyond what reality supports. Still, restlessness and departure are written into the AmeriCAN cultural DNA.

The ethos of mobility and individualism began when I became an idiot—the Greek word originally meaning a private person or non-citizen—and stopped buying into the shared hallucination of mediocrity. You question everything. What is deeply personal becomes universal: the real internet, the real network, the collective unconscious.

Telling our own story is not something we are taught to do. There is a course called Life 101: the Earth School of Hard Knocks. Tuition is free, paid for with bad planning. Success is continued enthusiasm despite failure after failure, and nothing fails like excess.

Field Note 04 · The Ship and the Shipwreck

Do Your Human Homework

Earth School kills all its students. It only ends once; everything else is progress. Hopefully, you escape the jumping-jack default state of shopping and buying, go to the edges, and profoundly do your human homework.

The invention of the ship was also the invention of the shipwreck.

The word “blessing” has also been associated with the French blessure—a wound. A blessing carries its other side. My cruising obsession, that invisible wound, became a private religion: the place where the bulk of my spirit was invested.

The wisdom of this excess is that we die to the present tense and are born again in the future perfect—the heroes of our own lives. Yet there is always nostalgia: homesickness for the West Coast.

Pacific Coast Story Map

Four Routes Through the Left Coast

Story 01

The People’s Republic of Santa Monica

The radicals, arguments, politics, and street-level republic that shaped the western edge.

Read the Story
Story 02

My Pier Group

The Santa Monica Pier as gathering place, landmark, and recurring cast of characters.

Read the Story
Story 03

The Epiphany Chair

A bicycle ride through Chess Park turns vanished characters into recovered perspective.

Read the Story
Story 04

The Power of NOW

Silicon Beach, accelerated life, and the pressure to inhabit the present before it updates again.

Read the Story

The Call · Return to the Edge

What Am I On? My Bike.

From the last visit in July 2011: I biked past Chess Park and its Old Radicals—Bicycle Pete, “Swiss” Pierre under the rainbow umbrella, Irwin from RAND, Mark Rosenberg and the Caro-Kann Defense, Isaac the “Lord of the Rings,” and Dave, Pope of Greenwich Village.

They debated renaming Santa Monica Ho Chi Minh City, complained about conservatives, landlords, developers, and busy people, and finally settled on The People’s Republic of Santa Monica: Big Sur, New York SoHo, and Beverly Hills-by-the-sea wrapped into one.

There is more status and much more quo now. The Old Radicals are nowhere to be seen. But the coast keeps calling because movement makes the vanished world visible again.

Your Move · The design of Chess Park

Moving Image · Original Film

The West Coast Calls Back

Archive

Show more