Luck, Poker, and 21 Daze in the Caribbean

MS Noordam · Caribbean Field Note

The In to My Sane

Every day I get to go to work on a cruise ship. It is the in to my sane: doing the same thing again and expecting a different result.

Cruise Life Luck Poker 21 Daze

The actual line is usually rendered as: insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results. Poker complicates that idea. Sometimes making the right mistake pays off. I would rather be lucky than skillful—at least until luck sends the bill.

I remember the rhythm of The Color of Money: it is in the way that you use it; it comes and it goes. I also think of Paul Newman's observation about the extraordinary role luck plays in all our lives.

"Luck is an art. Luck marches past any number of people while they are looking in every direction except where luck is. I guess I know how to look in the right direction." Paul Newman

The Call · Another 21 Daze

The MS Noordam and I are starting again.

Another Caribbean circuit: repetition from the outside, renewed perception from within.

01 From Zero to Infinity

Pools that made the horizon disappear.

02 Curacao

A Renaissance island in the Dutch Caribbean.

03 Bonaire

The Shawshank Redemption with salt air.

04 The ABC Islands

It is not much if it is not Dutch.

05 Grand Turk

Escaping to my reality.

06 Dominican Republic

1492, revised from the shoreline.

07 Half Moon Cay

Bahamas, sea horses, and private-island time.

08 St. Thomas

The USVI through another port window.

09 Dam Ships

The floating city becomes the territory.

10 Martinique

The Caribbean flower.

11 Apocalypso Now

Island rhythm at the end of the world.

12 Barbados

The Boat Yard and another day afloat.

13 St. Lucia

Banana Republic is hiring.

14 Saint Maarten

The statue is not the saint.

15 The Map Is the Territory

Dam ships, moving coordinates, and lived geography.

Trials · Making the Right Mistake

Luck lends. It never gives.

The poker table turns probability into biography. A bad decision can win a pot, but winning the pot does not make the decision good.

Ed Reif poker field-note image

The surest way to win a huge no-limit hold'em pot is to spot someone the nuts and then suck out. When that happens, hate the win, not the winner. I call it making the right mistake.

I was deep and heads-up, with position. A player raised and I called with suited connectors. I put him on ace-king. The flop gave me two pair—fives and sixes—with a king on the board. He shoved. I called instantly and discovered I was dominated by king-six suited.

The river was a five. I filled up and won. That is the kind of hand that makes the nervous system confuse rescue with proof.

The Poker Paradox A fortunate result does not validate a faulty decision.
Ready · Fire · Aim

Three bullets with nothing.

I fired the flop, turn, and river while holding squadush—nothing, zilch, zero. It worked in the passive game. Then the game changed.

Failure to Adjust

The table loosened. I did not.

Passive players busted. Tight-aggressive players arrived. The game became one of money and odds, and I rebought three times.

Tilt

The powerful broken computer.

My brain may be the most powerful computer I own. On tilt, it becomes the most powerful broken computer I own.

The Lesson

Self-delusion is the real opponent.

Tilt makes us suboptimal at evaluating rewards, sizing risks, and calculating probabilities. It is like selling the car for gas money.

The Elixir · The Only Link

2012: Happy Last Year

The complete retrospective: a year measured in voyages, stories, destinations, and the decision to keep living before the lesson became obvious.

Read 2012: Happy Last Year

Archive

Show more