Puerto Vallarta-Ship Happens

Cabo · Puerto Vallarta · Saudi Arabia · Thailand · Macau · Las Vegas · Mediterranean

The ElixirIn One Year and Out the Other

A restless year of ports, poker, beer, reinvention, and one recurring question: what happens when the world becomes the itinerary?

01

In Revue

What a Wonderful World

I say to myself: what a wonderful world. Today, the song remains the same.

A year earlier, I wrote from Mexico. The places changed. The appetite for movement did not.

Roll Video

The Song Remains the Same

02

A Loss at Sea

The Human Cost Behind the Headline

The original post reflects on the death by suicide of a 27-year-old assistant waiter aboard Carnival Splendor after a distressing phone call.

The loss is preserved here without the original sensational phrasing. A death like this affects colleagues, family, witnesses, and the person on the other end of the call.

The important truth is not the method or the headline. It is that temporary crises can produce irreversible harm, and suffering deserves intervention rather than spectacle.

03

Puerto Vallarta · Oktoberfest 2010

Miles Away from the Ordinary

Hola, Coca-Cola.

Multinational soul and beerocrat Ed Reif with Deon James from Cape Town, South Africa.

They who drink beer will think beer.

Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville was out. Kenny Chesney’s Beer in Mexico was in.

You cannot be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. A football team helps. Nuclear weapons may help. But at the very least, you need a beer.

Corona remained the gold standard for Latin American lagers: Mexican beer, change your latitude, vacation, no worries, relax.

Puerto Vallarta Oktoberfest 2010 with Ed Reif and Deon James

Puerto Vallarta

Oktoberfest 2010

Beer in Mexico

Change Your Latitude

04

Oktoberfest 2009

In One Year and Out the Other

Two years ago today, the archive was already becoming a calendar of alternate lives.

Ed Reif during Oktoberfest 2009

Archive Marker

Oktoberfest 2009

05

Space Travel

Saudi Arabia, Thailand, and Macau

Greetings from the user-friendly universe—the People’s Republic of Santa Monica, home of the Mac Store and Apple, the forbidden fruit.

In January, I was in the Majik Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a bit like Mars.

In February, I went to the Land of Smiles, Thailand, and walked on the moon.

In March and April, I had my head in the clouds with The Helium Report, winning and losing the American dream in Macau every night—high-stakes no-limit poker on the Hong Kong Express.

Ed Reif in Santa Monica, California

Santa Monica

User-Friendly Universe

Saudi Arabia desert kingdom field image

Saudi Arabia

The Majik Kingdom

Thailand travel field image

Thailand

Land of Smiles

Macau and Hong Kong poker-era field image

Macau

The Helium Report

06

Leaving Las Vegas

Poker and I Decided to See Other People

In May and June, I got my baht out of Asia and returned to the United States of Unconsciousness.

I played tournament poker in the black holes of Midwest bars and Las Vegas casinos.

I spent the best part of my losing streak in an Army Jeep, from what I can recall.

There is that Sheryl Crow line: standing in the middle of the desert, waiting for my ship to come in.

In July, I created my own luck and took a world-tour cruise to get away from the game. Amsterdam’s Holland Casino provided a false start.

Mission accomplished. I love poker, but I am not in love with it anymore. Poker and I have decided to see other people.
Ed Reif during the Leaving Las Vegas chapter

Las Vegas

The Losing Streak

Army Jeep

From What I Can Recall

07

The World Tour

Santorini, Monaco, and the Southern Cross

The epiphany arrived in Monaco.

I was scheduled to level up my bogus poker Ph.D. from ESPN into the real deal in Monte Carlo. But I did not have any gamble left in me. I did not even walk through the doors.

After all, you can only quit once.

The last three months had taken me through Russia and the Baltics, the British Isles, Scandinavia, and the Greco-Italian-French Mediterranean.

Now I was back in California to recharge before Australia, New Zealand, the South Pacific, and the Southern Cross.

Santorini during the world-tour cruise

Santorini

Waiting for the Ship

Monaco field image from the poker epiphany

Monaco

You Can Only Quit Once

Next Leg

The Southern Cross

08

Being Vincent Vega

Royale with Cheese

Do not ask me what they call a Whopper over there.

“I never went to Burger King.”
Pulp-free fiction writer and Space Sheriff Ricochet Rabbit.

This pretty much summed up the differences between America and Europe: Royale with Cheese—meet your meat.

Space Sheriff Ricochet Rabbit travel portrait

Being Vincent Vega

Space Sheriff

America and Europe

Royale with Cheese

The Year-in-Review Equation

Movement + Reinvention + Distance = A Different Life

The Elixir

The Calendar Became a Map

One year did not replace the previous one. It layered Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Macau, Las Vegas, Santorini, Monaco, California, and the Southern Cross into a single operating system.

In one year and out the other—yet none of it was wasted.

Archive

Show more