Togo-or not to go

Lome, Togo · The Trials

Togo or Not Togo

Where there’s a Will, there’s a play. A port call missed, a show delivered, and Shakespeare standing in for shore leave.

Companion Stories

Where there’s a Will, there’s a play.

Like Dubai or not Dubai, Togo or not Togo, I read Shakespeare instead of visiting this port of call.

Actually, I had to work on a show.

If work is prayer, then I am going to heaven.

“The port was outside. The play was the journey.”

Operational lesson: sometimes the foreign land is not the city beyond the gangway. It is the role waiting under the stage lights.

View of Lome, Togo during a cruise ship port call
Lome, Togo

Read the Wider Route

Companion Stories

The Elixir

Sometimes you travel by going ashore. Sometimes you travel by becoming the person the work requires.

Togo remained beyond the gangway, but the day still became part of the voyage. The show was the trial. The finished performance was the passport stamp.

Archive

Show more