Germany-Boats And The Men That Love (on) Them
The Call · A Year at Sea
Loose Lips Sink Ships
Love was in the air. Then it went to sea, called at 300 ports, and picked up a cigar in Old San Juan.
Love is in the air. Well, not only in the air, but also in the sea.
Television Navigation
The Original Floating Fantasy
Archive Image 01
Atlantica
The promise was simple: step aboard and let the world come to you.
Archive Image 02
Captain Stubing
The captain of television's most persuasive travel brochure.
The Premise
Passengers searching for romantic nights aboard a beautiful ship, traveling to tropical or mysterious countries, spent their vacation aboard the Love Boat, where Gopher, Dr. Adam, Isaac, Julie, and Captain Stubing tried their best to please them—and sometimes helped them fall in love.
Field Note
Wish You Were Here
After a year at sea, on four cruise ships and 300 ports of call, did I tell you the name of the game?
I think I’ll Have a Cigar.
The television fantasy became a moving address.
San Juan Dispatch
Have a Cigar
Video Dispatch
Old San Juan
A stable responsive embed replaces the original Flash player.
I would like to thank Pedro Pablo Peña, from Old San Juan, who took a chance on an unknown vegan endurance athlete with off-the-chain VO2 max scores and sold him his first El Borinqueño cigar.
I accept the Philip Morris Throat Kazoo Newbie Award in the COPD tobacco category in the name of all those who have given their time, money, and lives to the industry.
The Asymmetric Equation
Television Fantasy + One-Way Ticket = A Life at SeaThe Love Boat sold the dream. The ships, the ports, and the years supplied the evidence.