Da Vinci Code Or Are We Dancer?

St. Petersburg, Russia · Hermitage Field Notes

Been There. Done That. Back Again.

Four hundred rooms. Fourteen miles of hallways. Nearly three million works of art. I always come back to the Hermitage—and to Rembrandt.

Field Note 01 · Return Passage

Been there. Done that. I am back in St. Petersburg, Russia.

With 400 rooms, 14 miles of hallways, and nearly three million pieces of art, I always come back here—to the Hermitage.

“You’re not going to see people like this again for a long time,” he said. I told him I always saw people like this. He looked at me for a moment and said, “You’re not from around here, are you?”

“People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home.”

Dagobert D. Runes
Archive Note · About a Year Ago

Fortunate Son Meets the Prodigal One

“You do an eclectic celebration of the dance! You do Fosse, Fosse, Fosse! You do Martha Graham, Martha Graham, Martha Graham! Or Twyla, Twyla, Twyla! Or Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd! Or Madonna, Madonna, Madonna! ... But you keep it all inside.”

Field Note 02 · The Queue

The Quirks and Perks of Queuing Up

The shortages are gone, but the Cold War nightmares continue.

So I’m back in Mother F’n Russia: part Victoria’s Secret catwalk, part janitor-in-a-drum, gold-plated septic tank.

Gallery Report · The Hermitage

Leonardo. Michelangelo. Rembrandt.

And then there is the Hermitage. I saw Leonardo da Vinci’s Madonna and Child, Michelangelo’s Crouching Boy, and Rembrandt’s The Return of the Prodigal Son.

What’s Hot

Waiting six hours for the latest iteration of the iPhone at the Apple Store.

What’s Not

Waiting from 8:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. to step inside the Hermitage—plus the multiplier effect of role-playing in an old Soviet peasant breadline.

Still, I am damn well grateful for the opportunity. Very authentic.

Image Archive · St. Petersburg 2009
Rembrandt Field Test

Make Your Teeth Whiter with Rembrandt

Forget Crest Whitestrips or baking soda. The quickest way to whiten your teeth is to look at a Rembrandt.

It makes you smile. You could take a Rembrandt anywhere in the world—to deserts, jungles, or islands—and people would immediately understand it and respond.

Legacy Blogger Video · View from St. Petersburg

Roll to Video

Back in St. Petersburg, Russia, again for three days. The Hermitage is closed on Monday. On Tuesday, I’ll take video of The Return of the Prodigal Son. I just had a big dinner, so I’m a bit tired—but I shot this video of the GR8 view.

This preserves the original Blogger-hosted video object and its content ID.

Final Reflection

I always come back here to Rembrandt. Some museums are places you visit. The Hermitage is a place that remembers you.

Archive

Show more