Sint Maarten All I want for Xmas is a Tan

The Elixir · Hotel @nyware Archive

Alstublieft…

Keeping in touch with the Dutch—and opening the Ed Reif/Hotel @nyware Time Machine to see where Christmas found me in 2007 and 2008.

Powder-white sand. Caribbean-blue water. Liquid sunshine. Pretty standard stuff. Free is expensive. Check, please. Dank je wel—“dahnk yuh vel.”

Archive Image 01

Keeping in Touch with the Dutch

Ed Reif keeping in touch with the Dutch

Alstublieft

A Dutch-Caribbean field note about beaches, blue water, liquid sunshine, and the hidden price of “free.”

The Ed Reif / Hotel @nyware Time Machine

What Was I Blogging About?

What was I blogging about around this time in 2008 and 2007?

Ed Reif somewhere in the Saudi Arabian desert at Christmas 2008

Christmas 2008 · Saudi Arabia

Christmas Day with Snow Patrol

المملكة العربية السعودية

Ka'a'awa Valley in Hawaii at Christmas 2007

Christmas 2007 · Hawaii

Happy 2008 from Ka‘a‘awa

Mele Kalikimaka from Ka‘a‘awa, Hawaii.

I’d appreciate it if he would address me as “Colonel” or “Sir.” I believe I’ve earned it.

The Asymmetric Equation

Distance + Memory + Archive = Time Travel

One Christmas in Saudi Arabia. One Christmas in Hawaii. One Dutch-Caribbean present tense. Hotel @nyware turns the map into a calendar—and the calendar back into a life.

Archive

Show more