Columbia-Brandy You`re A Fine Girl

Cartagena · Coffee · Castle · Improbable Luck

Foreign LandThe Divine Payroll

I went out for my first cup of JOEse and came back sixty dollars richer. Cartagena had entered the ledger.

Arrival

Wherever I Go, Here I Am

From Shakira, whose hips do not lie, to the darker mythology attached to the Cali Cartel, Colombia arrived already carrying stories.

But wherever I went, there I was.

This time: Cartagena.

First Cup of JOEse

Juan Valdez Pays Out

I went for my first cup of coffee and found three twenty-dollar bills on the street.

Probably counterfeit, I joked.

That was sixty dollars, found before the day had properly started.

It looked like I was on the Divine Payroll again.

The Luck Equation

Coffee + Coincidence + Attention = The Divine Payroll
Cartagena travel photograph from November 25, 2009

Cartagena · November 25, 2009

Street-Level Arrival

Travel photograph from the Colombia and Panama cruise archive

Cruise Archive

The Route Before Cartagena

Cartagena castle and old city photograph

Old City

Castle, Church, Standard Stuff

The Understatement Castle and church. Standard stuff.

The joke is pure Ed Reif: compress the monumental into a shrug and let the photograph disagree.

Three Field Videos

Cartagena in Motion

Field Video 01

Arrival Frame

Field Video 02

Old City Movement

Field Video 03

The Day Continues

What the Day Delivered

Three Versions of Cartagena

Myth Shakira and cartel mythology

The country arrives first through the stories the world already tells about it.

Luck Three twenty-dollar bills

The personal story begins when the street interrupts the itinerary.

Place Old city, castle, church

The standard tour becomes memorable because of what happened before it.

The Elixir

Luck Rewards the Person Looking Down

Cartagena offered the official landmarks, but the day announced itself through three pieces of paper on the pavement.

The Divine Payroll was never a salary. It was the name for those moments when attention and improbability signed the same receipt.

Arrival + Attention + Accident = A Story Worth Keeping.

Archive

Show more