The United States of Unconscious Gambling: I'm Over the Influence
Hotel @nyware · Texas Hold’em · Exit Interview
Free Will or Free Won’t
Cardlust, false control, and the moment an always-on poker life stopped looking like freedom.
Texas Hold’em Cowboy Card Junkies
The United States of Unconscious Gambling
Poker without money is an opinion—and opinions about poker are shovels we use to dig our own graves. If you are not playing poker but are thinking about playing poker, you are already gone.
The Central Tell
It was not the money I kept returning for. It was the feeling that I was a winner.
24-Hour Casinos · Get Rich Click
Always On Means Never Put Down
Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die. Poker zombies playing 24/7 did not want to be in the United States all the time. Now you could gamble from home—and lose the house—while believing you were more in control.
The original name of this blog, Hotel @nyware, was about location-neutral internet gambling. Online poker insinuated itself deeply and invisibly into daily life through laptop, desktop, and phone.
Something incredible happens when poker can never be put down and can always be picked up. It is always on, reliably available, waiting at the edge of every “creative” impulse.
The State of Nevada · The State of Mind
Beating the System Was Really About Beating Life
Poker had less to do with money than with a sensation: beating the system, feeling like a winner, and testing whether life was finally going to go the way I wanted.
The Promise
Yes, I Can Beat Life
The win promised permission: now I could finally do the things I wanted to do.
The Reality
Life Was Never the Opponent
We do not beat life. We participate in it—and the system helps us grow.
The Loop
This Could Be the Day
Every time the computer came on, the fantasy reset: this could be the day I won the big tournament.
Paper or Plastic
When Money Becomes Buttons, Clicks, and Phony Chips
Played with buttons, clicks, and virtual chips, online poker makes the amount of real money easier to underestimate.
The poker room becomes an “oasis of the zombies”—an entrance into the insane, a kind of voluntary madness, pain for sale, self-punishment, and the surest way of getting nothing from something.
“I’m doing online coursework at Full Tilt and PokerStars. I’m $80,000 in credits short of graduating. You see, money is life’s report card.”
Anything that was not poker began to feel like a waste of time. Classes were skipped. Work was missed. That was the picture.
Visual Archive · The Spread
From Casino Geography to Everywhere
White Angry Hold’em · The Cure
Growing Old Is Not Optional. Growing Up Is.
You can outgrow poker without slipping up by avoiding slippery places—online casinos and live ones alike.
At the time, I reached for an extreme medical comparison to describe how impossible recovery felt. The useful truth was simpler: “Cardlust” had become an all-consuming default mode of thinking about poker and an uncontrollable craving.
Like Lay’s potato chips: I bet you cannot play just one hand.
Hooked or Hooked Up
The Behavior Speaks Louder Than the Explanation
Availability and exposure lined up: Full Tilt, PokerStars, ESPN’s WSOP, GSN’s High Stakes Poker, and the World Poker Tour. You were hooked up.
Habit
“I Messed Up”
A single event can still sound temporary.
Pattern
“I Messed Up Again”
Repeated behavior begins to speak louder than the words around it.
Need
Hooked
Continuing despite negative consequences moves the behavior from a want toward a need.
The Engine and the Steering
Mind Over Money Was a Logic-Versus-Emotion Farce
What was the engine, and who was steering? The brain can dupe us into believing we are thinking when we are only rearranging bad habits.
The way you do anything becomes the way you do everything—with time, money, opportunity, and attention.
The Identity Paradox
“You gotta be a somebody before you can be a nobody.”
Check Please · The Exit
You Can Only Quit Once
Calling poker a sport is like calling bald a hair color. I was done with the male-pattern madness. It had become loss of money, health, relationships, and things.
Go within or go without. No more pain for sale. I was quitting—and quitting second-hand smoking—once and for all.
The Book I Wanted to Read
The Sex of Poker
How to turn your bargain with chaos into a gambling lobotomy. Why stop at twelve steps?