Happy 2008 From Ka'a'wa, Hawaii
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Hawaii · Huna · The Hero’s Journey
Hidden Hands in Hawaii
Being T/here placed me in a unique space—one where good fortune, personal exploration, mana, and the life I ought to be living began to feel like the same story.
Being T/here
Hawaii Created Space for a Different Kind of Knowing
It supported personal exploration, oneness, and the mystical experiences of Huna—the practice of manifesting and tapping into mana, or life force.
The Inner Landscape
Mana Meets Momentum
Hawaii did more than change the scenery. It changed the quality of attention. The outer landscape made room for an inner one: personal exploration, oneness, Huna, and the possibility that intention could become direction.
The mystical and the practical were not opposites. They appeared together—as energy, opportunity, work, and motion.
Good Fortune · Three Open Doors
The Track Was Already Appearing
I had a tremendous amount of good fortune. It did not arrive as one dramatic event. It arrived as a sequence of openings.
Open Door 01
The Television Show LOST
A gig that placed me inside another kind of story—one already connected to Hawaii’s mystery, landscape, and imagination.
Open Door 02
Teaching Contracts
Work arrived that allowed me to teach while continuing to explore the life taking shape around me.
Open Door 03
The Reverse Commute
From my condo in Ka-a-a-va—yes, that is how you spell it—the direction of ordinary life seemed to reverse.
The Recognition
“I am the hero of my own life.”Ed Reif · Hawaii Field Note
The Pattern
The Interview Still Rings in My Ears
When I think of the Hero’s Journey, I think of Joseph Campbell’s basic pattern found in narratives around the world. The Bill Moyers interview still rings in my ears.
The pattern matters because it does not belong only to ancient heroes. It gives ordinary people a way to recognize the structure inside their own lives.
Joseph Campbell · Follow Your Bliss
“It starts with sacrifice. From sacrifice comes bliss. My general formula for my students is: ‘Follow your bliss.’ Find where it is, and don’t be afraid to follow it.”Joseph Campbell
The Power of Myth · Hidden Hands
Doors Open Where You Did Not Know Doors Could Be
Bill Moyers
“Did you ever have the sense of being helped by hidden hands?”
Joseph Campbell
“All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the time—namely, that if you do follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don’t be afraid, and doors will open where you didn’t know they were going to be.”
The Elixir · Recognizing the Track
The Life I Ought to Be Living Was the One I Was Living
The LOST gig, the teaching contracts, the reverse commute, Huna, mana, and Hawaii itself did not feel like disconnected good fortune. Together they formed a pattern.
Perhaps hidden hands are not proof that the path is easy. Perhaps they are what becomes visible once we are finally moving in the right direction.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps